I started several mths ago helping a friend a few times a wk for $40-$60 per wk but then it turned out 2 be a 5 day a wk thing (7 hr days) & recieving $100 per wk.

She use to drop her 2 yr old off with lunch & sometimes breakfast & now I'm picking him up and dropping him off, & providing breakfast and lunch. I have yet to speak with her in details about this sudden change but now my household income has decreased a bit and at first this was suppose to be something temporary & extra but now its become another household bill (between gas and food). I am still getting 100 per week and wondering if that is a fair price to pay. This person is my friend and I want to help her and her husband in any way possible but now its costing me money to take care of her child. What should a fare price be for what I am doing????

greatmom1977

Asked by greatmom1977 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Depends on where you live, in my neck of the woods I'd have to pay someone 10-12 an hour for all that.
    annabellelee

Answer by annabellelee at 3:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• You could charge the $100 a week for just watching her child, then ask her to provide ALL the food.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 3:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I'm not sure where you live but I think around here $100 a week for one child for daycare all week is right about what is paid for in home daycare. But you shouldn't have to pick up and drop off the parent should do that.
    Anonymous

• That's like a little over $3 an hour. You're getting the shaft!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• You shouldnt have to be picking the kid up or dropping it off anywhere.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 4:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• If you are providing the food, and the gas I would charge her the cost of the fuel and food. Keep the receipts so there is no argument and than add an extra $1 per mile when you do the driving so that your time is being paid for as well on top of the weekly 100.
    So, she pays for her child's food and the gas and mileage put on the vehicle and than the the 100.
    You're still helping out and she is paying for her child.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Unfortunately that is the going wage for a home day care. Try shopping at a BJ's or Sam's Club and getting the food at a better price. If you feel you are being taken advantage of tell your friend that she needs to put her kid in daycare, which you aren't.
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I have never done this before and not sure if I should ever do it again but I have a 1 year old daughter who is getting attached to her child and before the income thing became an issue I did not have a problem with it, because I was helping a friend out who was in my position (one income household) . But now she has obtain her degree, has a well paying job as well as her husband and now I feel they should reconsider what i am now doing for them. I just need other opinions regarding this matter so I would determine how I should approach this situation.
    greatmom1977

Comment by greatmom1977 (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• If you want to keep doing this you need to set some rules. Definitely ask her to drop off and pick up. You'll have to decide what is acceptable pay. Where I live $100 per week for full time care with meals included is about average. You might call a few centers and in-home daycare providers in your area and see what they charge.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Wow... that is cheap. I would be charging at least 200 a week for the one child with me providing meals. If I were doing the picking up and dropping off that would be additional.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 4:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2011