my son rammed into my feet with one of his big trucks...i accidently fell on top of him

he is ok. BUT HE IS UPSET.. i think his head hit the floor when i feel on him... obivioulsy it was not on purpose to fall on him.. i scrapped my shin... i told him i was sorry and it was an accident... and NO TRUCKS ALLOWED IN THE kitchen, he is only 3.. but now he is hitting me and saying im a a mean mommy for hurting him... i understand he got hurt and is upset.. but should i put him timeout for hitting me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• TIME OUT!! Good move mom! Send him to time out and explain the difference between accidentally hurting some one and intentionally hurting some one. Then when time out is over give him a big hug and say I love you :)
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 4:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Yes you should def put him in time out for hitting you. You didnt mean to fall on him. Make sure you explain that your didnt do it on purpose, and that mommy is sorry. He is just looking for a way to act out now lol, sorry but its true! They can be such little smart ass's at this age. Dont let it bother you, just say what you have to say about being sorry, it was a accident...and then put him in time out. He has no right hitting you. You should also get down to his level, look him in the eyes while holding his arms down and tell him "you do not hit mommy or anyone, that is not nice!". I always made sure my kids had eye to eye contact with me and a stern voice. It will work after a while.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would put him in time out and then when he calms down I would let him out and talk about it. Tell him it was an accident and that you didn't mean to hurt him, but hitting you is not acceptable at all...ever. That what you did was an accident, what he did was just being mean.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would talk to him and try to explain it in terms he can understand.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• He def. needs a timeout and an explanation in clear words. Your falling was an accident. His hitting was not.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• YOUCH! Sorry you both got hurt! If he continues hitting you, yes do a time out. the way I do it with my son (will be 3 in april) is if he does something naughty and he ignores my asking him to stop, I warn him with a room timeout. that usually works (for the time being *sigh*). If he attempts the same thing he goes to his room for a few minutes. I just wish he'd stop for good. He's going through such a wild phase right now. I'm turning into the nagging mom because I dont know what else to do. But room time outs at least give me some time out time as well
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Good move, because he needs to learn to differentiate an accident from hitting on purpose. Explain why yours was an accident and why he was punished for his hitting. I can see why he did it, but he just needs to understand what really happened. Went through that when my son was 3 also, he learned quickly the difference though! Hope you both are ok.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 4:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would have told him he is a mean son for hurting mommy. Then I would have told him to not hit me or I will hit you. Of corse not to hard. Just hard enough for him to understand it hurts.

Answer by louise2 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Talk to him. At least TRY to help him understand what he did. But at 3, he should. My Son understands everything I tell Him..so..
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 4:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2011