How can I get my 3-year old to listen?

kgeller

Asked by kgeller at 4:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• to what? to you? when? why? what have you tried?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• all i have to say is GL... i'm trying to do the same with my son who is 2... he listens sometimes but can get so distracted and my voice is shut out... so i get down to his level and say look at me so that i know he gets my attention.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 4:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• lol OP if only they had a button! I am going through a similar situation. My son will be 3 in April and after the room time outs he still goes and does the naughty-whatever he was doing all over again as if the time out was just for that one time. I've turned into a nagger and hate it. I sound so annoying repeating myself to him. But the more I nag the more he just ignores me. He tested my nerves so much today I actually spanked him. He didnt flinch at all which is great but i hated doing it. I never spank. I dont like that type of discipline. I once again have to teach myself to breathe and realize he is just a toddler. sorry no advice, but you're not alone.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Start giving her time-outs when she doesn't listen. She'll get the point. In this age of CPS people get nervous about disciplining their children. You don't need to beat and demean a child to discipline them. Its okay to say you don't like what they're doing and give them a consequence for it. It's not okay for the parent/care-giver to lose their cool and yell/hit. You can also give yourself a time-out. It takes a lot of self-discipline to train a child and its okay if you need a break every now and then so you don't get burned out and lose your cool. Put on a movie or put your child in their room for 15 min if you need a few moments to yourself. One other thing that really helps is bending down to their level and listening to what they are saying. Really listen. It helps them feel their needs are being heard and makes them want to listen in return.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Each child has a "currency" which is THE most important thing to them. We used to take that away for an appropriate length of time as punishment. It won't necessarily be a toy. My youngest used to LOVE watching the trash truck. So, occasionally we would say he would not be allowed to watch it. Zero in on what really makes her tick. Be Consistent!! Don't threaten something unless you really will do it. Like saying "you will never watch TV again". That is unrealistic and not something you can follow through on. Also, make sure she gets enough one on one time with you and your SO. Plus praise when she does things right.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• If my kids dont listen I often speak softer and slower, makes them slow down and pay attention
    buella

Answer by buella at 10:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2011