Has anyone ever sent their child to stay for an extended time with grandparents?

My thirteen year old son has the opportunity to spend a month with his grandparents. (School isn't an issue, as he is home schooled) We live in Texas, they live in Michigan. I have never been without my son except for during scout camp. I am not the clingy type of mom, but I must admit to feeling a bit unsure about this. My son can be very difficult, way more than the normal teen. I don't know if sending him for an entire month is very realistic.

derosia_mama

Asked by derosia_mama at 4:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• My daughter travelled with my mom for about 3 weeks when she was 11. We live close to my mom, and she and my daughter already had a close relationship with frequent contact. My daughter has ADHD and can be somewhat difficult at times, but I knew my mom knew her well enough to handle it. Also, my mom was the one who invited my daughter and she fully understood what she was offering; had my mom not been that close to my daughter there is no way I would have done it.  If your parents haven't spent a lot of time with your son already and he tends to be difficult, then it might not be a good idea. Could you send him for a shorter stay this year and make it longer next year if things go well?

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Good Luck,. i am a clingy mom but my son is 3 and he's never slept away from home.. lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• i wouldnt be sure about a month either. the longest my 4 year old has been away from me is 4 or 5 days when she went with grandma & grandpa to their timeshare in the mountains. the trip was suppose to be 7 days but they came home early cause my 4 year old missed home too much and they were rained in everyday! 4 is very young though, maybe at 13 it will be different. that is very far though, at the other end of the country. i would probably be feeling clingy in this situation too!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• why would he want to spend a month with his grandparents if he is a difficult teen. I would think that would be something he would not want to do.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My son had spent a few days at grandparents but not that long. What about a shorter time, like 2 weeks. Do the grandparents know him well? if so then I wouldn't worry about that part.

Does he want to go?
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 4:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Sometimes all you need is a break. Teen years are certainly the most difficult... Do the grandparents know that he has been a bit difficult lately? As long as they know what they are getting into and you approve of their "parenting skills" then I think it would be okay. It is possible that the break will strengthen the bond between you two. Good Luck!:)
    cjzmom

Answer by cjzmom at 4:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Also, my daughter has spent a 4 month span with my mom before. She was 6 at the time. I was a single Mom in a small town and lost my childcare. She took her and made sure she was in a stable environment so that I could continue to work. I was already planning a move to a different town a few months down the line. So, I needed to keep working and save our money for the move. My mom lived in Southern California & I lived in Northern Nevada. It was not easy at all, but I am so grateful that I had e option for her to o be with my mother. So, in my eyes, a month is nothing. lol Also, 13 will be much easier than 6 was. :)
    cjzmom

Answer by cjzmom at 5:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• well my son is only 2 do no not yet but when he gets older i wouldn't see what would be wrong with the weekends... or summer break and things like that if the grandparents don't mind... but that's when he's older.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Honestly, I would jump at the chance to have my kids go spend time away from me (especially my 10yo dd who has behavior problems). I did have my older 2 spend 3 weeks with my in-laws but they were toddlers at the time (17 months and 2 1/2). I had a nervous breakdown and couldn't take care of them anymore. I also had a 4mo at the time who stayed with me and I had a hard time just taking care of her those 3 weeks. It was hard but I knew it was for the best because I was at the end of my rope and knew something was going to snap (namely me and I was afraid I would hurt them or myself). We might let the oldest go stay with my dad for part of the summer if she wants. We just moved away and her BFF is there and she loves my dad. We thought about letting the older 2 stay with my sil but she doesn't enforce any rules at her house so that's a "no" but we said her youngest could stay with us for a few weeks.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2011