Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Traffic ticket question

My husband was caught in a road block driving my car with no insurance or current registration. ( I let these expire because I was giving the car to my sister for Christmas. He was actually driving back from letting her test drive it). She is welcome to take possession, but we are still waiting for her to get insurance and registration in her name before we give it to her. We never drive the car. It stays in our garage. We want to just pay the tickets and lesson learned. So we went online to see how much they were. It says we are not allowed to pay online, that we must appear in court. I guess they want us to appear showing proof of both. But we don't/won't have proof. What can we bring instead? Should we make a bill of sale to my sister? Should we show that we are driving another car that has insurance and is registered? Why won't they just let us pay?


Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Similar situation with this question.

    I do think you have to have your current regs and proof of insurance.


    Answer by musicmom08 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • Tell your sister to get it in her name now. They need some form of proof that the registration is up to date and current insurance. This happen to my brother and when he failed to show proof they suspended his license.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • Exactlyu as Mommy od two said. If you show up without proof of insurance and registration they can and will suspend drivers license. You will have to get it registered and insured before the court date. The sooner the better.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • If you dont have current proof of both, they will just give you a fine

    Answer by leksismommy at 5:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • Wow!?! Even if we don't drive the car? I guess they have their reasons though.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • But the point is HE WAS driving the car.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • I'm sure it varies from state to state- but where i live (Utah) you have to have insurance on it even if you take the car out of the parking lot. If you do buy insurance on it they'll pro-rate it and once you give it to your sister they'll return any money that you over paid. I'm so sorry this happened. It seemed like a good favor gone wrong. But yeah, legally you have to have insurance to drive in most states.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2011