Is it too early?

I know that the law is a child has to be 12 months to be forward facing in their carseat but my son is so tall that he is so uncomfortable rear facing. He is almost 11 months old and weights 22 pounds. I am no sure about his height but I do know that his poor legs are scrunched and being in the car for him is miserable. He hates it. Would it be safe to put him forward facing so he'd be more comfortable?? Have any of you done it less than two months early?

BraydonsMama262

Asked by BraydonsMama262 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's too early. The law says 12 months AND I think 20 lbs, but you should really wait much longer than that. The risk of decapitation from a wreck or other spinal cord injuries is very much a true risk until the child gets older and larger.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would ask your Dr and I think every state is different. Here the child has to be a combination of both 12 mo and 20 lbs it cannot be one or the other it has to be both. My opinion is it really isn't that big of a deal in your situation and your child is still going to be safe as long as he is buckled up and who is really going to know if your child is or isn't 1 year yet.
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 5:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• It was the same with my son but I called the local police department and they said they don't care that he needs to be 12 months AND 20 lbs before facing forward
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would find a bigger carseat that can be rear facing too to make hima little more comfortable but i wouldnt face him forward yet.
    x3.babymama.x3

Answer by x3.babymama.x3 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMFPSStXfqE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIeExpDLDA

Children like sitting with bent legs. It's comfortable for them but not for us adults. There is no negative impact on safety in´╗┐ collisions from behind contrary to popular belief. A common injury among forward facing children is broken legs etc. This is not the case with rear facing children.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I do suggest watching these videos I've posted links to. Just copy and paste the links in your browser and they'll come right up.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Please also do note on one video it says "There has never been a single case of broken legs during a wreck from rear facing, but there have been TONS of reports of internal decapitation or other spinal cord injuries from forward facing".
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2011