Bathing a child with Asperger's who is afraid of water on the head.

He is afraid of getting water in his eyes and ears. Tried ear plugs, tried the ear band, tried getting a doctor to talk to him about it, tried games... any other ideas as to how to not only get him in the bath but get his hair washed with out pinning him down and him screaming?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 5:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• try sponge bathes. use a moist clothe instead of full water washing until he is more comfortable with it.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My mother use to wash my hair in the sink....I would lay on the counter and she would use the sprayer so it would not get into my eyes and ears.

I have a dd with aspergers...so I know this might not work...just a suggestion.
    Anonymous

• do you have a shower head you can take off and just spray his head ? I know they do have ones you can buy that will adjust to just the nozzle if you only have the bathtub and no shower sprayer..you can better get around the ears to prevent water in them. I have my son put a washcloth over his eyes because the hair washer bucket didn't work.. have you tried asking him to actually take his fingers and plug his ears?? Maybe that would make him feel silly and make it fun?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• my dd takes showers and we pretend were elephants(squeeze our eyes shut, cover our ears and make an elephant sound so it wont get in eyes ears mouth nose) when its time to wash hair. My dd is only 2 though so I dunno if that will work but it cant hurt to try it
    Rockabye

Answer by Rockabye at 5:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• have him tip his head back, cover his face with a dry washcloth. and you sheld his ears when you pour the water on his hair ... idk about washing the face except spongebath'washcloth bath (ick!) but if he tilts his head way back and you are careful. you should be able to keep it off his face...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Thought I might add he is 6. lol. This just started about a year ago and we have been battling it ever since.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• lol. Tried that! Elephants, monkeys, tigers, fish....
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2011