why all the abbreviations ? !

I don't understand why there are so many abbreviations used in Cafe Mom. It doesn't take that long to type out a word. I get so frustrated when I am reading things that it takes me forever sometimes to figure out what the heck you are all talking about. I finally (a long time ago) figured out the most used ones like DH, SO, DD, DS but I think the abbreviating is getting out of hand. I don't know how many times I have gotten confused when I see BM thinking bowel movement and not breast milk. or BF being breast fed and not best friend. and trying to figure out if someone is talking about their ex or their fiance or their brother or husband. I love Cafe Mom but sometimes it drives me crazy. I am a very well educated woman and these abbreviations just aren't used in the real world.

Please no bashing I am just vending.

CarlieJS

Asked by CarlieJS at 5:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I know exactly what you mean. Some of the longer posts involving several people gets so confusing sometimes,what with the bf, so dd,ds,dh bil sil ,fil mil,just to name a few. I think it's gotten out of hand. Just type the word!
    CBMMOM

Answer by CBMMOM at 5:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Well.. here in answers, there is a limited number of characters you can use in an answer. So abbreviations are used a lot due to space constraints.

This is also the case in regards to so many message boards/social networking sites..etc. So, many of get used to using abbreviations all the time when they are posting on a message board.

I will admit. It can be tough keeping up on all the different ones, I pause every time I see a new one.. I even have to look one up on occasion.Like you, these abbreviations are not used in "my world" (lol) I do not even text if that gives you an idea.. lol... After awhile though, they just start becoming second nature almost.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I think it's funny that your question about abbreviations is so long!! :)
    That's just the way of the internet, abbreviations have been around for a long time in chat and it's just part of the online world.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 5:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Bcuz ppl r lzy & 4got how 2 type IRL
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• It's easier. This is the only place I don't type the whole word out.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I agree there are a lot of them like. LOL, BTW. BRB, LMAO, TTYL, but it seems as though Cafe Mom has it's own world of abbreviations no one else ever uses.
    CarlieJS

Comment by CarlieJS (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• what is weird to me though is in an entire question there are about 2-3 words abbreviated that can't possible save someone that much time in typing out a question or comment.
    CarlieJS

Comment by CarlieJS (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Its easier and just happens to be CM lingo. Like texting and such. Its just easier. The more youre on the site the more youll get it and poss incorporate it into your own posts. Go to frequently asked ?s and youll see/learn the lingo. But if you dont want to then just type it out lol Your call
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

They do and it just saves time so moms don't have to repeat dbd (deadbeat dad) or dh (darling hubby) or dd (darling daughter).... The longer you're on here the easier it is to read those abbreviations. It becomes like pixie said second nature.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 5:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I abbreviate all the time when I text and on facebook. or in my job when things have to be short. you can do that by leaving out vowels and the message is still legible. but... DH, FF, BM, DF, DS these are the ones that get me. LOL.
    CarlieJS

Comment by CarlieJS (original poster) at 5:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2011