We need to look no further than our teen students to see why we're behind the other countries

There are always exceptions to this of course, but when they spend time reading, discussing, reviewing (even reviewing right from the test) etc. and yet they still dont care, dont pay attention dont even try & they fail. It's so discouraging. I dont have an answer to this muti-dimensional problem, but I am glad my teens not only graduated, but did so w/ excellent grades. I hope the others who are blowing off school will wake up before it's too late. Any suggestions?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• We're behind in alot!
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/dec/07/world-education-rankings-maths-science-reading

I think unless parents value education, are actually involved in their kids' educations and try to work with the schools, the problem will just get worse. I substitute teach @ my son's school and I can't tell you how many times a day I hear "I can't". I see a lot of kids who just can't be bothered to think.

I also see a lot of HS kids wanting the grades without doing the work & parents intervening on their behalf. Of course this isn't every child, but it is widespread.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• What are we behind in? My kids are doing pretty dang good. My dd is taking a college course on top of her high school schedule this spring. She just went to a library convention with her library lady on Sunday. She came back with over 200 books, many signed by the authors who where there. I think we have some truly awesome kids growing up here in Americia!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 5:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Such a good point....I don't know what the answer is but they'll pay for it down the road, that is a certainty.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• The US is behind in a lot compared to other countries and it has NOTHING to do with the teens. It has to do with the education system in the US. If you want a real eye opener about just how bad the US education system is and has been since the 70's, read, "Waiting on Superman" by Davis Guggenheim. If the US would fire the bottom 10% of teachers and replace them with AVERAGE teachers, we would catch up to Iceland in a year...Iceland is the TOP country for academic performance. The US education system is NOT working. Yes, there are exceptions, but our system is sad.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Don't blame the kids; blame the educational system. It is designed to teach the most kids possible ... get them in, get them out. It has nothing to do with "quality". We need to get rid of tenure, stop throwing money at the problem since that fixes nothing, and do away with standardized testing because everyone is so concerned with making the grade in that regard and it has nothing to do with the intelligence and preparedness of the actual students.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• we are behind a lot and i think we could learn a lot from the way chinese people put their children thru school and how they hardly ever have "free time to goof off".
    mistik75

Answer by mistik75 at 7:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• There are a lot of reasons. Parental involvement is lacking, accountability for students is lacking, and teachers have a LOT on there plate. They practically have to play social worker, in my area can't really do a lot about problem students, and are required to teach to the standardized tests to keep their jobs. Let's get back to school being about EDUCATION, instead of political indoctrination. I'm only 25, high school wasn't that long ago, and I look back now and see a lot that I was taught that had NOTHING to do with academics and a ton to do with indoctrinating me to think a certain way. Let's cut the fat out of the school budgets, since all that extra money isn't doing a dang bit of good, and lets get PARENTS back into the classroom, holding their kids accountable, instead of blaming the teachers. Point blank, if a parent holds a kid accountable, they will do better. I know that I did.
    truthrowan

Answer by truthrowan at 7:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• beyondhopes: As I stated in the beginning of my post: "There are always exceptions to this of course" And obviously your children are the exceptions. That's GREAT! Keep up the good work & keep encouraging them. But I see many many others who just dont care, & they are the ones who will suffer for it later. Actually, so will we, b/c we'll be supporting them when they cant support themselves. A lot of these kids need a major wake up call!
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2011