my son

my son wont sleep at night.. well he will but only if he gets in bed with me.. i dont mind but when daddy's home i want to lay their with him.. but he wont allow it... anyone have any ideas of what i can do to keep him in his bed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Start a routine and stick with it. It probably confuses him that sometimes he's allowed to sleep in bed with you and other times he is not. Start putting him is own bed (even if daddy isn't home) and if he gets up tell him its time for bed. If he gets up again say nothing and put him back in bed. You will probably have to keep repeating this for the first couple nights but he will get it. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

• try puttin his bed in ur room?? maybe in the living room??
    Anonymous

• This is an emotional issue for your son, & has nothing to do with when his dinner/bath time are. Depending on age, your son has spent at least a quarter of his life inside you. For some reason after babies are born we expect them to be independant of us at night. It doesn't make any sense for them to be "just fine" sleeping alone. We don't like to sleep alone-why should they? It's not for everyone, but we co-sleep. Our son is almost 14 mths & he sleeps in bed with us. 8 is bedtime-I lay with him until hes asleep and then I leave the room. We get our alone time, but our son sleeps with us. It is perfectly normal for a young child to want to be close to their parents at night. Just look at it this way-1 day hes not going to want to be with Mommy. He's going to want to play and then its off to highschool and hopefully college. Enjoy it while it lasts. Its a phase-and it too shall pass.
    charliesmom910

Answer by charliesmom910 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Daddy won't allow it? Or your child won't?
    Uhh, Daddy better grow up and be a daddy, if it's him forbidding it.. If it's your kid, you tell him it's YOUR bed, and HE doesn't get to choose who sleeps in it.. If he wants to sleep in it, he'll be nice to daddy..

When my husband is home, just because 4 of us in a bed gets pretty jammed, I put my 2 year old in her own bed, and let her know that it's okay to climb in with us later, but I want her to go to sleep in her own bed first.. We usually don't see her until after 5am, if at all..
    It also helps to lay down WITH your child in their bed to get them to sleep.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:40 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• co-sleeping is a nasty habit to try an break the only advice i can offer is like on other mom said simply put the child in his bed and tell him this is where he sleeps and that its bed time if the child gets up repeat that its bed time.. a third time up say NOTHING just put the child back in bed and leave the room. if you dont like having the door shut put up a gate so that the child cant get to you..DO NOT go in and coddle the child untill they fall asleep it only makes the problem worse. it may only take a few mins or possibly an hour before they are off to sleep. some children cry and some have all out tantrums but they well wear themselves out and sleep in the room. at most it should take no more then three days of this before they get the idea.good luck
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 10:21 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• When our older 2 were toddlers and it came time to start putting them in their own beds, we got them sleeping bags (or their favorite blankets) and let them sleep in the hallway right outside our bedroom with our door open. Every two or three nights, we moved them a little closer to their room until eventually they were ok with sleeping by themselves.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• alright to answer alot of you its the child that wont allow daddy to sleep with me.. and he does sleep in the same bedroom as us.. his bed is like two feet away from ours.. but he just doesnt want his bed. i've tried putting him in his bed but it wont stay i get up and put him back and he just doesnt want his bed. i dont know what to do anymore.. i'm not getting enough sleep here.. we tried setting abed time but he'll kick and scream until we let him up.. or out whatever.. the thing is i need some major help.. i'm 22 and i think my child is really spoiled and i want to stop it before it get worst! help me some more please!
    Anonymous