How good or bad are your school lunches?

A friend of mine has been talking to me about the very poor quality of school lunches in our city. I was unaware as my son never buys school lunch, but have been taking note since she brought it to my attention and half this stuff I wouldn't feed to my dog!

What about your school system?

sweetpotato418

Asked by sweetpotato418 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Horrid. They amount to an overpaid Kid's Cuisine. They don't even make them on site. At the beginning of the day, there is a count of how many kids are buying and then they are delivered in individually wrapped trays to the schools and reheated there.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I work in a private school in the lunch room and I think our lunches are great. My daughter goes to a public school and say's their lunches suck!
    mimiwendy

Answer by mimiwendy at 5:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• They don't even make them on site. At the beginning of the day, there is a count of how many kids are buying and then they are delivered in individually wrapped trays to the schools and reheated there.

That's what they do at our school too! I guess there was an incident a few weeks ago w/ some kids' chicken nuggets still being frozen. Unbelievable!
    sweetpotato418

Comment by sweetpotato418 (original poster) at 5:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My son goes to montessori .. they dont serve lunch - they will heat the packed stuff for the kids. i teach in a k-8 charter school and they vary greatly - breakfasts always have too much sugar but they kids like the food. lunch has some really yummy stuff that even the teachers eat - and some stuff no one will touch... super gross stuff! last week they had meatloaf and a kid found a red thing in it - i thought i was a blood clot - turns out some ppl put peper in meatloaf?? so i guess variable. everything is permade and individually packaged. it is a real waste of plastic!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My dd isn't in school yet but my 11 year old brother says the lunches are gross. One day they will have speghetti with meat sauce and the next it's somethng call Italian dunkers which is the same meat sause with bread that has cheese melted on it.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I've never seen the lunches at my kids' school but they say they are good. They get 4 options every day including a salad, a sandwich, something a little different and something generic/junky (like cheeseburgers or pizzas). The kids were just discussing have a teriyaki burger earlier. Yesterday there was teriyaki chicken with rice and peas & carrots on the menu (yum).
    There is also a FREE fresh fruit and veggie cart that all kids can take advantage of whether they are paying, bringing from home or on the free/reduced lunch program. I asked my kids the other day and they said they loved it and got fresh fruit every day from it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• we live in a rural area and the lunches are horrid! before we lived here we lived in the minneapolis suburbs where lunches were cooked from scratch and healthy plus tasted good
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 2:18 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Yes my sons school is really bad, but surprisingly enough they say that it metes the guidelines of "Their" nutrition charts. I went online to see what they have to offer, and it is ridiculous mostly Junk food and the portions are so extremely small and the healthy choices are very few and pretty boring. I'm actually trying to work on changing the food choices by adding more warm meals, like spagetthi, rice and chicken, actual potatoes.... Hard job but we have to start somewhere!
    Actress-mom81

Answer by Actress-mom81 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I pack a lunch for my kids! Every once in a while I glance at the lunch schedule, it's disgusting! I asked my son's teacher how they justify fried cheese sticks and marinara sauce as the main part of a lunch. She said that it meets the nutritional guidelines, one dairy and vegetable (the marinara sauce). They can also get ice cream...that's a dairy. Hot dogs are another weekly choice. It is so disturbing what they get away with feeding kids and claiming that it meets nutritional guidelines.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• ours seem okay I guess..my dd never complains
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2011