tantrums occur all the time--13 mo. old hits head against walls and floors one time he fell backwards hit head and immediately both arms shook vigoriusly. whe doctor was called she said it was a tantrum - i beg to differ i think its got something to do with having a seizure

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you truly think it is something else, I would find a Dr who would take your concerns more seriously.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would have them double check at the ER or another Doctor
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• When his arms were shaking vigorously could you talk to him and get a response? Also, how frequent do these occurences last.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My aunt has epilepsy and it wasn't diagnosed until she was like 5 because they kept saying it was just tantrums. You can get a second opinion but, I don't think that can do any kind of scans to diagnose seizures, the Doctor has to see it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I'd have it checked out too. Whether it is caused by a tantrum or a seizure, if he fell and hit his head that hard it could cause a concussion. Definitely keep trying to find out why this is happening, but don't completely rule out the tantrum possibility. Some kids do have violent tantrums, and when they are too young to communicate it's really difficult. After a tantrum induced concussion my nephew had to wear a helmet for a while; he was between 12 and 18 months at the time. At almost 4 he's still quite a handful, but it is getting better.

I hope whatever is going on with your son is resolved soon. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• The reason I was asking you questions is because I have epilepsy, so if you feel its more than tantrums and you have questions I'm here for you.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• if you really think it is more then just tamtrums then I would take him to a DR that is going to do and EEG or refer you to a neurologist.

My DD never had seizures when she was young, she just started having them at the age of 8. Somethings to look for if they are seizures is, he will be nonresponsive, if you try to get his attention or talk to him he will not be able to respond or anything. how is he afterwards, sometimes kids are tired or confused afterwards. You can also get more information at http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/

I guess if it was me I would push to have him checked out because you don't want to wait if he is having seizures.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2011