Kidney stone removed/blasted?

I recently found out I have a rather large kidney stone that is too big to pass on it's own and need to have it blasted. Has anybody ever been told that and actually had it pass on it's own, and if you did need the procedure, what was it like?

hrt_0928

Asked by hrt_0928 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Health

• My SIL has always had kidney stone issues. she has had several blasted. She is usually sore and uncomfortable for a few days. Usually has mild pain meds for a while afterwards.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I have had several stones pass on their own. I have had one blasted with the laser. They leave a stint in for a few days just to make sure the Ureter does not collapse and cause kidney failure. The stint is much worse than the procedure. You have spasm every time you have to pee. I learned to drink at a certain time and take a pain pill so it would have time to kick in just as I needed to pee. It sounds gross but it is what it is. GL

Anonymous

• the stints are VERY painful! and pissing blood sucks, i have never had one blasted bc my dr never wanted to use a laser on me bc i am of child bearing age. that was just what that practice did. they passed through the stints though when they were dislodged during birth. worst four months of my life :( i'm sorry for you bc i know how much they suck, i have two right now.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I worked at a urologist. Allowing them to pass on their own can be extremely painful. Sometimes you have to help them along but if they keep recurring, you might have to have more envasive surgery.
    KenKie

Answer by KenKie at 12:58 PM on Jan. 17, 2011