Are school lunches better now or better when you went to school?

I did't like them.

HomeAlone45

Asked by HomeAlone45 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Food & Drink

• In elementary school we had moms cook lunch and it was Mmm mhm mhm good! I can still taste it and its been about 20yrs ago. I'm high school we have gourmet meals and a variety for everyones taste.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Our school cafeteria had real cooks who made the food, now it just gets stuck in the oven to reheat. I'm voting for when I was a kid. But, since we homeschool, our kids' school lunches are actually home cooked, so they really have it good. LOL
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I wish I hadn't had to eat them as a kid, and I pack my kids a homemade lunch everyday! I don't get how schools have these "Healthy Schools Initiatives" and then serve that trash in the cafeteria...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 6:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I don't know how school lunches are now, but I loved school lunch when I was in school. I really loved the pizza and chicken sandwiches. Sometimes I even crave their pizza. Haha.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I didn't like food when i was a kid so I am not surewhat the food was really like then but I know we have great meals now.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I still get to eat school lunches on occasion when I don't pack my lunch. They were def better when we were kids. I hate all the low-fat dressings and prepackaged, preservative-overloaded foods they get now. I used to love the fresh baked buns we would get at school!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• We didn't get to buy lunch very often, so I thought it was a treat, my mom packed our lunches every day. Every now and then she'd let us pick a day to buy lunch. I always picked pizza day or sloppy joe day.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Oh, to answer the question, I'm not sure the lunches are really any different. I don't think they were that healthy then, and they don't seem to be now. I packed my kids lunches every day.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Let's see... I have not had a school lunch in close to 40 years (when I was in elementary school).. Here's what I remember. We had a cafeteria that was fully staffed with cooks, everything was made fresh right there in the cafeteria. The staff came in, during the wee hours of the morning and started cooking.

When my son was in school The lunches that were served when he was in elementary school and middle school, were not cooked there. There was no cafeteria/cafeteria staff really.. Everything served was either pre-packaged and microwaved then served to the kids.. or cooked else where trucked in and reheated. The cafeteria staff consisted of 2 people. They unloaded the food from the vans, nuked it, served it and then left.

Based on that.. I would have to say.. School lunches were better when I was in school than they are now.,
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I didnt mind school lunches when I was a kid and my sons elementary school now is an ala carte' line so they can pic one of 3 entrees and 2 of about 6 sides or have a gilled chicken salad...a lot more to choose from.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2011