Which is better. Teach kids at home or let them learn in school.

HomeAlone45

Asked by HomeAlone45 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• It really depends, my kids have been in public schools since they started school and while I have always loved the school that they go to I have seen changes over the past few years. Now that they are getting older and one of my children started at a charter school I can see the differences in public schools and in home schooling. I think that they will learn more at home when it comes to education although I think that they need the socilaization that school gives them. I think if you have really smart kids public schools don't challenge them and you need to compensate for that.

As far as sex education and that sort of stuff I think it should be taught at home. I want to be the one teaching my kids about sex, drugs and alcohol. I understand that there are some things the kids need to learn at school and I am okay with that, although my kids know if they have any questions they can ask us.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I think you need both.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• It depends on the parent and the school district.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I went to public school and I loved it. I got a great education. I graduated with a 4.0 GPA and an honor student. I loved being surrounded by other kids my age and just overall enjoyed my school experience. I want my child to experience that too. I can't really say I have an opinion on teaching at home since I've never been exposed to it. But it's whatever the parent feels is best and what the child would prefer.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• It varies household to household. What works well for one family make not work for another.
    Anonymous

• We homeschool our kids, it was the right choice for us.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My personal opinion.

Depends on the child.

The best way to educate a child, depends on the child. Some function and thrive in one type of environment, with one type of teaching style.. Others thrive in a different type of environment and with a different teaching style.

The best educational choices a parent can make, are ones that work for, worth with, and fit their child the best. Fits their educational needs. Fits their learning style. Fits their future education and career goals.. There is no blanket right or wrong or blanket "Best" option for educating individuals, which that is what children are..individuals.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I think it does depend on the child and the parents. I know that I do not have the time or patience to home school. I had a great time in pulic school and I hope my kids do also, but if homeschooling works for your family then great!
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I personally would not want to limit my child. I can teach my children up to kindergarten after that I have no clue. If you can teach them every subject I say go for it.
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• That greatly depends on the situation and the child.
    If a child does not have social interaction with their peers outside of the home then they shouldn't be homeschooled. Now-a-days there are soo many oppertunities for outside interaction that it's easier to get them involved. However, if there isn't that option then home schooling isn't a great idea. A child NEEDS to learn that social aspect and needs to interact with their peers.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2011