Is this normal for a three year old?

My youngest has started to cry when he sees someone sad. He was just watching a movie and the main character was crying and he started to cry too. My other two boys did not do this...ever. He is turning three next week.
I always just give him a hug and a cuddle. As soon as they are happy again, he is too.

Normal?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 6:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes its normal. My son cries if he is watching someone get hurt on tv or that is scared. Its natural.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• that's sweet. Some kids are more emotional.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• my three and a half year old does this
    very obvious pretend cry
    she is in spectrum
    maybe it is her having spectrum thing or just three yr old thing
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My 5 year old has always been sensitive and he still does that occasionally...we could never let him watch movies b/c it seems like there is always a sad part in almost every movie and he would be so upset! I think it's normal depending on the kid...my other child never did this.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Of course. Not all children respond to emotion like that when they see someone else's express it. However, some kids do. They are relating to the person and expressing the emotion as they see it. It's their way of learning and relating to the subject.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• He is showing compassion for the one who is sad or upset. Shows he has a careing personality. so sweet! :-)
    blrusso

Answer by blrusso at 8:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Yes, my dd cries at the ASPCA commercials
    buella

Answer by buella at 10:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Yes, im a mother of 4 boys, 9,6,3 and 1. and they all have triggers.movies sad music, my 9 year old plays the violen and my 3 year old cries he thinks its sad, then my 1 year old crys because he hates to see his brother cry. Very normal.
    tiffanyrsr

Answer by tiffanyrsr at 11:23 AM on Jan. 14, 2011