Fast way to dry up milk supply

I have just finished weaning my 13-month-old, but my breasts are still engorged. I have not stimulated them - I don't even let shower water touch them. I put cabbage leaves on them and drank sage tea... not working. It was all very gradual - I did it by the book. It actually took about two months because I was so meticulous about it. I just want this freaking milk gone. I have a pump and I am tempted to use it just for some relief.

Is there any way to dry up breast milk quickly? Like a drug, or a shot, or something? I am so sick of this. My baby isn't even drinking it, so it is a total hindrance now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• They use to have a shot but I heard they got rid of it because it made women have severe seizures, that's what my midwife said at lease.
    I say keep doing what you're doing. Its been almost a year since I breast feed and I still leak breast milk.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would ask your doctor. When I delivered my 2nd there was someone in the bed next to me that had zero interest in breast feeding. She got a shot so that it wouldn't come in. Not sure if it is done anymore, but there used to be a pill for it as well.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 6:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• cold cabbage leafs in your bra kellymom.com clicky for more info

Gen

Answer by Gen at 6:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Gen - reread my original post. I said tried cabbage leaves.

Leanne C - You are one of those that doesn't answer the actual question, but instead pushes your own agenda, even if it has nothing to do with what is asked. 2 months is not quick, not by a long shot. 13 months is not abruptly after birth either. Years? Are you one of those whack job that bfs until your kid is 5? Gimme a break. I did it for 13 months and I did a great job. Either answer the question I ASKED or shut up, but keep your sanctimonious mom crap to yourself. I didn't ask for it. You want to bf for years, you go right ahead and let me know what your kid's therapist bill is like too.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• 2 months is actually rather quick in terms of weaning. Weaning can and should take many, many months or years as the child transitions from milk to solid food. We weren't designed to stop abruptly or so soon after birth.

If you absolutely don't want to begin nursing again in order to wean more slowly, then pump... definitely. Once or twice a day.... whatever works for you. What you are able to pump and give your child is just that much more of your milk she will have the benefit of. Then, slowly reduce the pumping... go down to once a day and once your body is fully adjusted to that.... once every other day... etc... don't expect to fully dry up any time soon, that can take years.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2011