4 year old with not much of an imagination??

I find this so odd.. but my daughter really doesn't seem to be into the make believe or pretend things. For example.. When we do bed time stories I make up happy magical stories about her being a princess and living in a big castle and so on and so on.. She will stop me as if she is irritated and say "No mommy.. im not a princess. My name is Heather and I live in Kansas" lol.. Same thing when it comes to having "tea parties" with fake tea and cookies and such.. she will say "Umm mommy there is NOTHING in my cup" She has always been this way. Doesn't bother me really I just find it kind of strange. Any one with a child like that?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My oldest daughter was like that. She couldn't do pretend play. It was like she had no imagination. She would dress her Barbies but not make up any storyline. It didn't seem to hurt her any though writing stories for English class would take her much longer than the other kids. She's 25 now and just fine! Maybe it is a Kansas thing--that's where she grew up too!
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 4:20 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• It's part of learning to play, in my opinion. As she ages, she'll get better at it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Honestly, if you want to aid in her creativity...LIMIT TV and media as much as possible.
    Having toys that do the work for you is also a big imagination roadblock. The simpler the better.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 12:18 AM on Jan. 17, 2011