How to keep your dog warm in these cold days we're having?

My dog stays outside most of the time but the last 2 nights I brought him in bc it was below freezing and had him stay in the garage well after I cleared everything up bc he still like to chew some how he got a hold of other things I don't know how he did it but he made a very big mess and myth was pissed he ruined a lot of our stuff we had in the garage. Well today he said NO MORE he is staying outside he has a pretty thick coat on him that will keep him warm enough. I told him fine but if it gets to freezing again he is coming back in. I just feel sorry for my dog but say if he does stay out side what can I do to make him comfortable. I did put a good size piece of carpet in his dog house but instead of laying on it he took it out and started to chew on it :(
He is such a dummy dog but he is so sweet and loving.
Thanks Ladies for listening ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Pets

• put loose straw in the doghouse

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• i would get a crate for the garage, that way he is warm but confined.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 7:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Our outside dog stays outside with straw in his dog house our inside dogs stay in the garage while we are gone in their crate with some blankets I would never let my dogs run loose in the garage I would have to clean up too much crap
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Mine is kenneled inside when it gets below 40
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Our dogs have never been outside dog, they always stayed indoors, they go in and out as they want. I know they don't feel the cold like we do, but I myself just couldn't leave my dog out all the time, I'm just not use to it. We use to put her in the crate when we went out, but she has been good the last month or so, so we let her just be alone and she just lays on the foot of the bed, or the sofa.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Why not use a crate in the garage as others have suggested?

Yes, straw is a much better insulator, it will keep the dog warmer. Be sure it is straw...not hay. And put a tarp or plastic cover over the entrance to the dog house to help. Keep an eye on the dog's paws as well for signs of frostbite. Increase your dog's feed in this weather and be sure you have a heated source of water that doesn't freeze for him.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• The current temp here is 22 ~ and I have my four dogs, several of the wild feral cats, and two very pregger goats all lounging in a semi-circle around the fireplace lol. Granted, the fire place is in our barn (tin roof/tin walls) ... but they all seem to be quite comfortable.

The dogs have straw beds to lounge in all of the time when they aren't inside ... but they like the barn.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:12 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Um, mine stay inside all year around with the family where they belong!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:56 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I have to agree with CollinBayleeMom ^^
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 10:37 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• get a crate or something he can go in, put in some old blankets in your garage, if he rips them up, so be it
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2011