my dd is 19 months old and I am going to pull my hair out when it comes to meal time with her! PLEASE HELP!!

As I said above, my daughter is 19 mo old. She has been in a picky eating stage for the past 3 months or so. She does eat at every meal, but it is very limited. I have tried to provide her with healthy choices, she wants nothing to do with it. I try giving her the chicken nuggets and the mama/dada food on her plate, she gets mad and wants it off her plate. She eats a little amount each day, but is growing fine and the dr wasn't concerned. So my question is, do I just give her what I know she will eat for sure or do I continue to try to have her eat other foods in hopes that she will build a larger variety in her daily diet? Here is what she will eat on a daily basis:

Breakfast: whole wheat bagel, toast, pancake, waffle, granola bar, juice, milk, bowl of cheerios with milk or kix.

Lunch: fruit, yogurt, open cheese sandwich on wheat bread, occasional pbj sandwich (1/4 of a sandwich), cheese slices/chunks

Dinner: occasionally rice, mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, mozz sticks, french fries, pizza

We have limited all snacking.  However, she loves pretzels, goldfish, crackers, graham crackers, etc.  She also likes fruit shakes (maybe 1/4 cup worth).

I have tried to mix veggies into the mac/cheese and rice... she won't eat it. She loves to dip things into sauces right now. Ketchup, bbq, honey mustard, etc. Please give any ideas or reassure me that I shouldn't stress this and just give her the foods above.

Tonight for dinner we had meatballs and ziti. We tried her with it and she threw a tantrum. I removed her from the table and she cried to come back. I put her back and gave her mac/cheese with brocolli. She threw a tantrum. I then tried spaghetti o's. Another tantrum, finally I gave her milkwith cheerios and she ate two bowls of it and was perfectly happy.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to make me feel better with all this. Would you just give your child cheerios for dinner for the next month??? Or continue to try new foods???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You need to continue to try new foods... And eat exactly what she's eating. My daughter wont touch anything new unless she sees DH and I eating the same. Then either the first night of introduction or a few tries later she always ends up at least trying everything we give her.

I'd also talk to pedi. She might need to be given some supplements since she's so picky.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• However, she loves pretzels, goldfish, crackers, graham crackers, etc. -

I wouldn't limit snacking, and I'd cut out the processed stuff if able. Try different variations of smoothies and shakes. There's nothing healthy about the foods I copied and pasted.
    Anonymous

• You should feed her more fruits and veggies. My son doesn't touch any of that crap and i introduced him too different tastes/spices at a young age which if you do that you will be guaranteed a not so picky eater. My son will eat Indian food he will eat pretty much anything I eat but its all healthy and homemade.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• lol, i don't miss those days, but they will be coming quickly... i think its just a stage, its something she knows and doesn't like change possibly?
    maybe try giving her something she wants and then give her something new, and make it a game. if she eats two bites of the new thing, she gets whatever. or time her to see how fast she can eat it. she has no idea what time is, unless she does, so she prolly won't eat fast...lok.
    thats what i got, hope i helped alittle.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• And if you had started feeding her a lot of pureed veggies at a young age and slowly made them thicker and more chunky as she got older you wouldn't be having this issue. You must of started her on crap for her to have tastebuds for crap only.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I kind of have to agree with that statement Crystal. My child will eat any and everything, but we've always had our LO experimenting with new foods, tastes and textures. Your child should be used to fruits and vegetables and you shouldn't be having this problem. The things you listed that she eats is really not nutritious and like a PP said it's ALL processed. Cereal, cereal, cereal, fries, mac n cheese, pbj, nuggets, other processed snack food... Where is the healthy stuff?
    Anonymous

• Offer her what you are eating and have a variety of foods. She will not starve. It might be rough going to transition her to eating what you are having but you can do it. Try to stop offering her all the different things like you fixed tonight. She is learning that you will jump through hoops to get her to eat and if she holds out long enough you will fix something she is familiar with. Hang in there. You can do it. I used to make a separate meal for my youngest and it was a huge mistake, but it is an easy trap to fall into. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I will be the first to disagree with Crystal and Anon. I have two boys...raised the same...both breastfed and introduced to organic fruits, veggies and meats at the same age. My older son eats anything and everything...my younger son doesn't eat anything. When I took my older son to his Kindergarten orientation they had to stand up and say their name and their fav food...he stated his name and announced that his favorite foods are broccoli, salmon, and sushi (all the moms turned and stared at me). Meanwhile my younger son would make himself vomit if he were to even touch any of those foods with his fingers. He has been through intensive therapies (even in-patient therapy at a hospital) and he still struggles with textures and foods in general at the age of 3.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Crystal and Anon..thats a bunch of CRAP. I started my son on everything healthy..veggies and fruit..anything and everything..

This is just a toddler..Alot of kids hit these stages where they are picky and only want certain things. You just have to keep introducing the healthy stuff and varities a bit at a time and slowly they will outgrow it.

My son goes days where he just wants chicken nuggests..and days where he'll eat 5 apples and nothing else..Ask your doctor about supplements till she outgrows it..like Pediasure has something..Your doing good..better than some people

Try giving her cut up apples with some peanut butter for a snack or broccli with ranch..fat free..organic..w/e u want its ur choice lol. Good luck!!
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 7:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• That is not the same thing MommyH2. My son actually has chewing swallowing issues due to cp so when i say he eats everything i eat i mean i have to dice it real small or mash it so you really want to go there? I mean the taste bud thing being used to a variety of tastes and types of foods. Her daughter seems to only have tastebuds for refined foods and nothing healthy and fresh. 2 totally different issues so vote me down as you wish. I always get voted down on health and nutrition on this site because most people don't have a clue. It's funny actually.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2011