How would you take this statement?

Scenario: I just got home from work maybe 20 minutes before and was sitting at my desk in the living room looking over the mail that I got today and specifically my children's health insurance information when my SO walks in the room and says out loud "Well I guess I need to multitask" and then walks out of the room. This was a couple minutes after asking what I wanted for dinner that he planned to cook. He was doing the dishes and he was trying to get ready for basketball practice of which we both signed up to coach. So I took it as him complaining that he had to do these things and got up to do it myself. He had only gotten half the dishwasher loaded and was working on something else...neither of which included dinner, which at this point is most important. I'm not saying I have a problem doing any of this, he just told me he was going to cook dinner and it was already after 5pm and practice is at 6:30pm. Needless to say this erupted into a huge argument and resulted in him walking out with out dinner or me to go to practice. So I want to ask, with the situation at hand, how would you have taken his comment and what would you have done?

kicknscreamn222

Asked by kicknscreamn222 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• I would have figured he was frustrated and had a bad day at work. i would have put down the mail and asked what he needed help with. then when he was calm I would ask about work.... and then mention in a kind and loving way that next time he is stressed he is more than welcome to ASK for help rather than getting snarky with me.

I have learned that with husbands and teenagers trying to match the tone only escalates things and does not solve problems.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 7:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Maybe you need to ask him what he meant??

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• These are the types of little things that I don't let bother me. I would have told him I would be there in a minute to help out and then gotten up to help. It's not worth an argument. We prefer to have fun together than spend our time fighting.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would have told him iam cominng
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 8:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would have ignored it, gotten up and asked what he needed me to do.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• He announced to you that he was going to multi task because he wanted your attention. He wanted you to jump up and do the cooking and the dishwasher loading and...and...and. He clearly drug his feet on the task at hand (making dinner) probably in hopes that you would come to his rescue. I also think that perhaps he manipulated it into an argument...MAYBE I am saying...because if it doesn't work out he won't be asked to do it again? Possible?

Personally, I am with you, if he said he was doing the dinner, I wouldn't have jumped up when he complained about the work, i.e. multi tasking. Next week, I guess it is will be on your shoulders, but at least you won't have the conflict with him. Good luck!

For tonight forget it, it isn't worth dwelling on, or arguing over. He should have done his part better, but oh well.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2011