My husband seems to think.....

that since my nipples are still kind of sore and sensitive at 20 weeks being pregnant that I won't be able to breast feed.

Ladies, is there any truth in this. Please let me know I really want to breastfeed.

soon2bmmy

Asked by soon2bmmy at 7:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You'll still be able to breastfeed.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Ummmmm....no....in fact that shows that your breasts are preparing. Hubby's often mean well, but really unless he has a PHD in Gyn/OB...then hug him and smile and go ask your DR :) :) :)

Oh and by the way, your breast may get worse :) sorry :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• What mom2twobabes says.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• You'll be fine i'm 8 wks and mine hurt really bad as well when wou have baby it will be a relief to feed that baby because your breast will hurt like hell!! I'm telling you, Your nipples won't be sore at first but will become very sore and then possibly cracked so prepare for that and get instructions from your doc what kind of cream will be appropriate to put on them.Hopefully your nipples then don't get thrush so prepare ahead of time and talk to nurses to stay up to date on everything.Good Luck!!
    Hugeat8wks

Answer by Hugeat8wks at 8:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• No way is that true! Lol, tell him good one!
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 8:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• You can still breast feed, there's only a few instances that I know of that would result in not being able to breast feed. A friend of mine never produced milk - so she couldn't breastfeed her sons. With my first child I did not produce enough milk and my daughter wasn't gaining nearly enough weight, the doctor suggested supplementing with formula and as soon as I did that she wanted nothing to do with breast milk. With my second child she refused to latch on - the hospital sent in three different lactation consultants and the pain in the butt absolutely refused to breast feed. With my twin boys I again didn't produce enough but they were fine with supplementing with formula, they'd readily drink both the formula and breast milk.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 8:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• no being sore is very normal and at first BF"ing they will still be sore but you can still BF....
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I'm 39 weeks and my nipples are sore and sensitive... my husband thinks it's funny to try and flick them... it's just another lovely perk of pregnancy, I'm sure you'll be fine :)
    Stephie999

Answer by Stephie999 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Men, heh, what do men know of breastfeeding? You will be fine, mama. It will be painful the first week, maybe two, but it gets soo much better after that. If you're worried there are some excellent books on breastfeeding and I'm sure there is a lactation consultant you can get a hold of in your area. Also the breastfeeding groups here on cm are full of knowledge. Tell your husband you appreciate his concern but to keep his uninformed comments to himself.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:08 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No truth to it at all. If breastfeeding "hurts" baby is not latched properly. There might be some discomfort at first, but it shouldn't last more than 10-15 seconds and it shouldn't be totally unbearable. The milk only comes out the nipple, baby should be sucking a good inch or two behind the nipple on the areola where the ducts are.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:04 AM on Jan. 14, 2011