Do you have an autistic child? What treatments have you used? Have you ever tried massage therapy?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 7:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just ABA in school
    nope. never tried massage

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I have an autistic child. I use behavior therapy. I have heard that Rikki could help, but I haven't tried it yet. I will admit, I have talked to many people over the years and researched a lot of things that people claim works. Most of it doesn't seem to work, from what I've seen. I don't want to spend my life on a wild goose chase for things that won't work, so I personally stick with what is working for us--the behavior therapy.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• i just recently found out my 2yr old has a form of autism that i dont understand very well. were about see a specialist very soon. one that will get us involved in a group as well as getting my son into speech therapy and some other therapies. i have heard of ppl trying massage techniques tho that were reccommended by a dr if the child that has autism has scensory issues.
    MommaSammie

Answer by MommaSammie at 8:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• yes
    in birth to three OT tryed the brushing technique, did not go well
    i did lots of touching and massage
    helps the dentrites in her brain (i am told)
    she is three and a half now and asked me to rub her feet (especially at night, and i do)
    also used lotion after bath and massaged
    used swinging for propreoceptive system, upside down play too
    spinning in den chair for vestibular system (she used to NOT get dizzy-not good sign) now she gets dizzy-great thing
    speech therpay, OT, PLay< social
    i found she carried tension in her ankles-why i started massage of feet
    and what girl does not like foot massage
    also sign language-helps to have something concrete for words to cling to (always uses word with sign)
    tacile issues, bowl of rice, beans, playdough
    heavy lifting or pulling/pushing for propreoceptive release
    best 'trick' used... first___ then ___
    ex.
    first diaper change, then play outside
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• changed food diet too
    forgot that one
    and a much more i am sure
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Yes - we did brushing and joint compression, and I've tried the GFCF diet with no improvement. Our schools use the TEACCH method and I love it - it has helped him tremendously!

Oh - and I agree with fiat about the first . . . then.

Answer by missanc at 7:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2011