What do you do when....

you make something for dinner that you know your child will eat but they dont eat it?

My son is 2 and I made dinner. I know he eats what i made. I still have to feed him some things so i was feeding him and all he did was chew the food and not swallow it. So I told him I wasn't feeding it to him and put it away. But what i want to know is what should i do now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would put it away, and give it to him again later if he got hungry. A child will not allow themself to starve.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:17 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I have been having the same problem. People do different things but this is what I do. I am not a short-order cook. If he does not eat what I give him and I know he likes it then he will not eat. I definitely do not give him anything else such as sweets, chips, etc. If he wants fruit or something healthy I let him have it. I read in a book that if they are active the day before they tend to eat more. If they are not active then they tend to eat less. I do not fix him something else to eat or he will think that if he does not eat what he has you will fix something else. My dr. told me that they will not starve. If you think of the times when he eats and the times when he does not then they cross each other out. Understand... I know it is hard but at 2 they hit this stage and he will get over it. I could have cried some nights but you just have to stay strong. Hope this helps...
    SuperBamaMom

Answer by SuperBamaMom at 7:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• If my little guy doesn't eat much at dinner, I offer something else an hour or so later. Something healthy just to fill his belly. He usually takes it. He won't sleep with an empty belly! Keep dinnertime a routine even if he doesn't eat much. He'll be able to understand soon enough that dinner is dinner.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• He won't starve and if he's two, he can feed himself. Perhaps that's what he wants anyway, to do it himself. He's two, the age of independence!

Star419

Answer by Star419 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I let my kids eat when they're hungry..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:37 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• When he tells you he is hungry sit him down at the table with the plate of whatever you made in front of him. Then you leave and do what ever, and let him feed himself.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 7:30 AM on Nov. 13, 2008