How can I get my 3 year old ds to poop on the potty?

I am at my whit's end here with this boy. He goes pee on the potty just fine. Goes days without an accident. But when it comes to pooping in the potty, he just won't! He was doing it occasionally & then we all got a stomach virus right after Christmas. Since then he hasn't pooped in the potty...not even once. It use to be if I could "catch him" in time & get him on the potty, he'd go. But when I try to do that now, he puts up a huge fight. He likes to lay under our coffee table on his belly to poop. That is just the weirdest thing I've ever seen! He doesn't care if he's in underwear, a pull up or naked. None of it makes any difference to him. I try not to punish him for doing it, though I do get frustrated sometimes & I'm sure that carries in my voice & actions. I just don't know what else to do. People tell me "He'll get it eventually. Just be patient." But seriously, my 15 month old is already interested in the potty. I feel like I'll have HIM potty trained before his big brother! Any tips would be appreciated.

Oh, and we do rewards for going potty. He gets a "little candy" (like an M&M or something) for going pee & we have a dish of "big candies" (single Reese's cups, etc) for when he poops. He also has an incentive...when he puts all his poop in the potty, he gets to go to the pet store & pick out a fishie & froggy.

charity987

Asked by charity987 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is there some other reward that would be a bigger incentive for him?
    Anonymous

• I took my son into the potty after meals. He had his own little learning potty (because it's hard to poop with your legs dangling from the big potty). We bought this book that he LOVED.. called "Everyone Poops". It talks about how people and animals, and even bugs and fish poop. It was my son's favorite, and took the chore out of going potty. I also would give him a sticker for trying; meaning he had to come to the potty without fighting me about it, and sit on the potty for a few minutes. It took us a while too... but he got it. Hang in there :)
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 8:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Oh, I forgot about Everybody Poops. That book is great! I'll have to get a copy of it. And perhaps a small reward for "trying" will get him back into at least sitting for a few minutes. He doesn't like the potty chair, but I do give him a stool so his feet sit on that instead of dangling.
    charity987

Comment by charity987 (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Im in the same boat as you I wish I could help But Im right there with you so if you get some good ideas i would love to know them thanks and good luck.. Im going to give you a bump also
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Girl good luck. my nephew is 5 and still has days where he wont poop in the potty. he will pee in th potty and has for years, but when it comes to pooping its a totally diff. story. We have tried everything for him, and he just wont. When he is at school he will, and then he has days at home he will. Then theres days where he wont poop in the potty all day. Him mom don't know what else to do.
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2011