night wakings? early morning yelling?

my dd is almost 4 and since about the age of 10mth she has had sleeping issues for one reasoan or another. With every situaion I always just assumed it was just another phase. But what has always concerned me is that she almost always (and i mean 6 out of 7 mornings) wakes crying, whining, cranky, yelling not in a good mood. (Her sisters on the other hand have always woken up happy ready to play.) She also wakes through out the night atleast 2 or 3 times yelling. i've been told she could be having night terrors. ok, so how long does this phase last? she is almost 4 and this started before the age of 1. Do any other moms have children that do not wake in good moods and if so what did you do to help or remedy the situation

blrusso

Asked by blrusso at 8:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If she's been having night terrors for almost 3 years, I would speak to your doctor about it. Night terrors aren't normal. If she's waking up cranky and whining, it's probably because she's not getting enough sleep, especially if she's having all these bad dreams. Definitely speak with her doctor and you might want to re-evaluate her diet. One of my friends told me that starches can trigger nightmares. I didn't believe her, but then I realized that if he ate a lot of pasta or potatoes with dinner, he would have the nightmares. A lot of carbs will do the same thing so I make sure he doesn't eat a lot of breads.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My son is three and just started doing this. I think it's normal.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would consult her doctor for sure. Night terrors are serious not to mention shes not getting enough sleep and that can result in her getting sick. Good luck and always hug and kiss her reassuring her you love her
    proudmama101906

Answer by proudmama101906 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My DD, 3yr., wakes up sometimes every other night if not everynight. She will say that is it becuase of bad dream. Well we started shuttin her door and she doesnot wake up at night as often as before. We have realized that It was our cat who would go into her room and meow or start playing with something and wake her up. Maybe there is something external that is causing her to wake up and not sleep very well at night. Good Luck
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 8:45 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• my son does the same thing at night,and i always just think he is having bad dreams,has been going on for awhile,but he never really wakes up crying or whining in the mornings
    karma1432

Answer by karma1432 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2011