NEED SOME INFO ON MOM'S DEALING WITH AUTISTIC CHILD

HI I AM SANDY..A GRANDMOTHER WHO HAS A GRANDCHILD WHO HAS JUST BEEN DIAGOSED WITH AUTISM. HE IS 15 ... TERRIBLE TEMPER AND I AM WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO DEAL WITH HIM.....I FEEL SO BAD FOR MY DAUGHTER..IT IS A NIGHTMARE....HE DOESN'T SLEEP AND SHE HAS A TERRIBLE TIME GETTING HIM UP FOR SCHOOL.. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE SOOOOOO HELPFUL..... THANKS SANDY

sanbar884

Asked by sanbar884 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• My son is autistic, but only 6 years old. Still, I may have some ideas to help :) Many people with autism also have something called sensory processing disorder. I definitely recommend you and his mom read up on that too. The book The Out Of Sync Child is an amazing help for that. With the sensory issues, they often have a hard time with things like sleeping, brushing teeth, being in noisy or crowded places.
    One recommendation for sleeping is a weighted blanket! I'll try to find a link for you.
    Also, now that you have a diagnosis, see if the insurance will cover occupational therapy. That is an amazing help :)
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 8:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• search for services, fight for services
    reach out to others in same boat
    mine is three with autism, no help with a teen

sending hugs
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• http://www.therapyshoppe.com/therapy/resources-20/autism-and-sensory-tools-1093/
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 9:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Parent Survival Manual By Eric Schopler. Look for respite care and ABA therapy. Apply for the medicaid waiver programs in your state.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• These are some groups you might also consider for help. GL 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2011