Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I would like more answers please.

I asked this earlier today and got one response. It was a really good answer, but I would like more input.

I am going to start giving dance and cheer lessons. I was wondering how much you think is a good price. I would like to practice about 2 times a week. I want to teach children ages 6 to 12. I'm wanting to charge $15 for a week or $45 for a month. What do you think? Also where do you think would be a good place to have the lessons? I have a community center in my town, but it's kind of pricey.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • You may want to check Boys and Girls Clubs and your local Parks and Recreation organization, or a community college, you may be able to teach through them and not have to pay for the use of the rooms. In this case, they may suggest or require certain prices, or you could look and see what others who teach for them are charging. If you have to pay for the use of the room or other fees, you need to determine what your expenses will be- including insurance and licensing to use copyrighted music. Also, unless you are hired as an employee (as at the college) you'll have to send in self-employment tax (the full amount of social security) and quarterly estimated income tax. (more follows)

    Answer by Bmat at 8:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • Part 2
    You also should include the cost and upkeep of equipment, gas, record keeping supplies, your training, etc. Don't forget about getting a disclaimer from each student. but you must protect yourself with insurance, most especially considering what you plan to teach. After you have determined your expenses, then decide what you would be willing to work for on top of that.

    Answer by Bmat at 8:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • I would charge more, and you may also want to check with local business laws as you may need accident insurance to teach peoples kids to dance or cheer. That or a disclaimer parents need to sign saying they wont sue you if their kid gets hurt.

    Answer by vbruno at 8:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • those are good prices, similar to tap and ballet rates that we pay

    Answer by nanaevelyn at 8:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.