my daughter wants to be lightskinned ohh lord:-/please help DONT BASH ME

my youngest asked me how can she make her self lighter,i asked what she meant and she said:theirs a club for the light skinned girls at her school that some girl made up and she really wants to be in it(shes 6)and they told her she couldn't because shes not light enough and shes really really serious about this too OK first off to me this is like racism to me i might sound stupid but oh well also my daughters:are mixed with:Mexican black,Belize,creole,&Indian in my opinion and by seeing my profile picture you might agree thats she"s very light skinned but it isn't about that its about my daughter feeling left out and insecure about her skin what do i do?don't bash me! please help

LABELmeCUTE

Asked by LABELmeCUTE at 10:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Can you help her find some friends outside this circle? She needs to be know that this isn't the only club she can join or be part of. Little girls can be mean, trust me, I know how they work. But, again, they are just kids. My best advice is to get her involved in other things where she can feel more of a part. (Gymnastics, ballet, choir, etc.)
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I'd be contacting the school about that crap. They shouldn't allow some club obviously so racist and discriminatory on school property, and need to be aware of this child (and the others in that club) doing this.
    Anonymous

• You might speak to someone at the school. They should not allow any club that disqualifies membership based on skin color. Talk to your daughter about her heritage and explain that she should be proud of who she is and not worry about belonging to this club. She is wonderful and special BECAUSE of her heritage.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• It's up to you as her parent to make her feel comfortable in her own skin and love the person she is. I wouldn't call it racial profiling they're only 6! I really hate it when the racial card is thrown in there. Our childrens securities & insecurities come from us, the parents. If you make a big deal of this then so will she. Invite the light skin girls over for a tea party or something and try to get these kids together on common ground.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• @ Anonymous  im going to do this but this sint a club the school made just a club some of the girls in her class made up

LABELmeCUTE

Comment by LABELmeCUTE (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My daughter went through this at that age (she is mexican & black) i drove her around town and showed her all the tanning salons than showed her the self tanner at the store. I explained that a lot of people PAY to have her skincolor and not to let some other girls jelousy bother her. It worked :-)
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 10:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I like hotrodlassie's answer. Alot of women do pay to get a darker skin tone LOL
    Tell your daughter she's blessed!
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I understand it's a student made thing done at recess or whatever. But that still doesn't mean the school shouldn't do something about it.
    Anonymous

• @Anonymous yess yess i understand i"be at the school first thing in the a.m @hotrodlassie lol i"ll be sure to tell her that
    LABELmeCUTE

Comment by LABELmeCUTE (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I agree with the previous posts. You need to contact the school so they are aware of this issue. Hopefully, then there wont be a club at all...
    Megs00835

Answer by Megs00835 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2011