My DR actually said to me " you are too fat and you really need to lay off the Mcdonalds"

BUT, we don't even eat mcdonalds - the only fast food I have had in the last year or so was a cobb salad from Wendys this past summer....

Ever since I had my last baby my hormones have been very messed up. I have gained 60 lbs in the last 2 years even though I have been on a constant diet ( never over 1200 calories, no more than 30g of carbs, and I use kids plates to keep my servings small) , but the weight just keeps coming on, among other "symptoms" . My last DR told me that I need medication to fix this problem, but then we lost our insurance.

I was finally able to go to the DRs today... He instantly rubbed me the wrong way because he had a stuck up attitude ( not to mention he had super tight jeans and a tight button up shirt and had the top buttons unbuttoned with his gray chest hair curled around his gold chain neckalces - ICK lol ) ...

So he then says " The only thing you can do is lose weight, as soon as you lose weight all of your problems will go away" ... well that is fine BUT I went to try and get help to find out why I CANT lose weight... I know that I NEED to, but I dont know what to do --- this was the reason for my appt.

So he then tells me that I " really need to lay off of the Mcdonalds" , I then explained that we dont eat fast food he then said " Oh, well what is it then, sweets?" ...I said " No, I dont really like sweets and the only sweets I have is whipped cream on a graham cracker" .... So I could tell he was thinking for a minutes and he then said " Well you are really fat, and the only thing I can tell you is to lose weight and i will see you again in a year "

What the freaking hell.... I went to get help, not to be insulted, not to be talked to like I am stupid... I knew I had a problem that is beyond my control... that is the whole reason I went to him ....

The reason I chose him was because he was the only DR within an hour of here that accepts our insurance.... but now I will definatly drive that extra amount just for someone better !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Health

• What a jerk!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 10:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• What a Jerk! & not to mention how unprofessional

Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 10:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• OMG What an A-Hole! Nothing boosts the self-esteem like a Dr telling you something you already know! I feel your pain though, after my 2nd was born, I too put on weight and kept putting it on. Here's how I lost 50 lbs. Walking! I'd start slow, a few blocks, add another block each week and worked my way up to the Portland Marathon a yr later! And lost 70lbs! Didn't need to pay a dr. for that! Good luck, give it a try, I promise it does work!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 10:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• That's like someone going to the dermatologist for help with their skin and the doctor calling them "pimple face" and telling them they need to stop eating chocolate and fried foods. Assumptions are risky in the medical field.....better to find out what's actually going on. Try to find a different doctor, one that appreciates the money you pay them.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 10:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• thanks kathy -- and I know... after my first I lost 20 lbs of baby weight by walking......... but since my youngest was 4 months old... I have been walking 5 miles a week and nothing !
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Start with simple changes, one a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat a half pound of non-starchy vegetables every day.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• just get a second opinion. i would be mad too but if your issue is more medical and you only eat 1200 cal its not your diet and you need to find out what the issues is.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Wow, that's really mean
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 10:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• ewe! curly gray hair out of his shirt...sounds like a real catch
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• That doctor didn't have to get that way with you. He sounded to cocky. That's the worst thing he possibly could say to a patient. Instead, he should have had your thyroid checked, check for diabetes, or something. I would have to report him though for saying what he did. i don't blame you for wanting to get another doctor.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:44 AM on Jan. 14, 2011