6 month old will not roll over!! need ideas! plz help!!

so we had our 6 month check up today and they said that he has amazingly and shockingly very very well muscle structure for a baby his age... they said he should be rolling over both ways by now and sitting up and starting to explore crawling with the amount of strength he has... he was trying to roll over at around 5 months but then just gave up one day and hasnt even acted like he wants to any more!! his doctor said that we really need to persuade him to try and roll over and everything else will naturally follow very quickly... but no matter what I try he just does not want to roll over!! I need new fresh ideas for my son! PLZ HELP!!

Meanttobeamomma

Asked by Meanttobeamomma at 10:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If I remember right it took FOREVER for my girl to roll over too. Although I have pictures of her sitting up supporting herself with her hands at 5 mo... but even then I think she had only rolled like 2ce. I think she just skipped that stage altogether. That may be what your lil guy is doing. Maybe skip ahead - see how well he does sitting up on his own. With my girl she was sitting up and eventually learned to "roll" while sitting up - she'd support herself on her hands and swing her butt around, and that's how she eventually got around. Then it took her FOREVER to learn to crawl after that, it was like she couldn't get that little leg dislodged from under her body. But don't worry, it will happen! :)
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 10:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My daughter will be 7 months tomorrow and like your son, tried a few times and gave it up. No worries. My 1 year old wasn't rolling over until mid 7 months. Some skip rolling over all together. If doc isn't worried, you shouldn't be either. See how he's doing at 9 months.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My first rolled over for the first time (back to tummy) at 5 months. Then he spent the next 3 months trying not to. He didn't start rolling around until 8 months. The biggest thing to look for is that he's moving around somehow -- rolling, scooting, army crawling, crawling, cruising, walking, whatever -- by 9 months. You've got a ways to go. Besides which, with babies, should doesn't always equal does (obviously, right? lol).

Oh, and my son who wouldn't roll over until 8 months? He's 3.5 years now and has perfectly normal motor skills, runs around all over the place like any other little boy. He just did things later than most babies, nothing wrong with that. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• This is the trouble with most doctors. They are so worried about making sure that every baby "performs" according to the National Standards. Every baby is an individual and so long as your baby is eating and sleeping well, seems healthy, happy, content, interacts with you and others, and otherwise thriving, don't sweat it! :D
    Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Thanx for everything everyone I feel alot better about this...

Meanttobeamomma

Comment by Meanttobeamomma (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Hey hun, braelynn didnt roll over until 7 month belly to back and just now started rolling over back to belly and she is almost 10 months. Dont worry about it. He is on the chunky side and my doctor told me that bigger babies have a hard time hitting their milestones because they have to hold their weight and its alot harder than average babies! He will do it soon enough. Braelynn has not even started crawling yet...
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2011