What do you tell your child/children when "why" doesn't have an answer?

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 10:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• The truth... I don't know why (if I really don't know).
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• because that is just how things are.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 10:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• If is it someting good like why is the sky blue the answer is because that's the way God made it. If it is something bad like why did someone do something mean it's "because there is sin in this world"
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• What I tell my students, is "Wow, what a great question. I have never thought of that..." This way their question is validated, but you don't really have to answer if you can't or don't want to.
    Megs00835

Answer by Megs00835 at 10:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• See I give my daughter real answers, I refuse to ever dismiss a real answer with a phantom one "God made it that way". I am a CHristian but I think telling children that answers teaches them not to look for answers. It makes them stop questioning the world around them and stop learning. BAD. If I don't know the answer I tell her to remember and we'll see if we can find an aswer in a book somewhere. If I don't know, I don't know.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 10:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I just tell them "I'm not sure".
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I tell my kids the truth so if they ask something I don't know then I tell them I don't know but I'll find out for you. When they are little and ask why all the time I would say silly things like "because the chicken crossed the road" Sometimes there is not answer to the why question.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2011