How can I afford housing? Large families.

Section 8 is closed, there's a l-o-n-g waiting list. We are a family of 5 in need of a 3-bdrm, 3-bdrms are hard to find PLUS but we cannot afford a 3-bdrm. (We don't make 3x the rent).

For those in big families, do you lie on your apartment application? Just say there's only 3-4 in your family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• Why lie about how many in your family? So you can get a 2 bedroom? That won't help much. I know around here 2 bedrooms are about the same price as 3 bedrooms, plus yall will be very cramped.

I suggest looking to rent a house instead. Not only will you need the extra room, but it will be a single person landlord who you can explain your situation to and may be more easier than the corporate run apartment complexes.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• no we don't lie.....I do find 3 BR to be much more pricey than 2 br though...where we live at leaste. We aredown sizing to a 2 BR to save to buy a house. We rent a house now. Most allow up to 5...2 adults 3 kids. One told us their limit is 4 occupants for a 2 BR. Houses have alot more expenses! We plan to be in a 2 Br for 8mos then buy:) Won't be fun though!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I have a family of 5 but own our house. Depending on what you buy, house payments can be much cheaper than paying rent. If you can't afford that maybe you can find other people who are close to as broke as you are and share a house. I wouldn't lie on the application because that would be grounds for eviction when they found out. Where have your family of 5 been living so far and why does that need to change?
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 10:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Because of economic conditions, my husband has 2 kids, and I have 1 kid.  We moved to another state for employment, and a 3 bedroom is 3 weeks of my husbands income.  The 3 bedrooms go for 1,000 plus.  We are living with a friend. And, no I don't want to buy because of economic conditions, we have bad credit and also, I'm  not sure if I wanna stay in this state.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2011