how can i be a smarter shopper by using coupons?

mylifedevoted

Asked by mylifedevoted at 10:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• Clip them every week. Get a 3 ring binder and some of the plastic baseball card holder sheets and some file separators (sheets with a tab on the end). Create your categories, file your coupons. Read the store specials every week and match your coupons to the sales. Go to more than one store for really good specials. That's how I do it and I regularly save $60-90 on a $225 biweekly shopping trip. After my coupons and rewards card, I usually end up saving enough that all my meats are free!

Oh, also, you can print coupons at smartsource.com, redplum.com, and coupons.com.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Matching coupons with sales is a great way to get stuff for really cheap, or even free sometimes. Check your stores and see if/when they double coupons, and up to how much (doubling up to 55cents means a 55cent coupon will double and give you a total of $1.10 off that product); some stores even triple sometimes.

Also, only clip coupons for items that you'll actually need, NOT just to use if something is on sale. A good way to look at it is that if you're going to buy the item anyway, whether it's on sale or not, then coupons will save you that money; if you're only going to buy the item because it's cheap, you're not really saving $5 as much as wasting$2 that you wouldn't otherwise have spent, if that makes sense.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Try some coupon match-up blogs for your local stores. Those blogs will list everything on sale at your local store and then pair it with a coupon for you, so all you have to do is CLIP. What stores do you get your groceries?
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:25 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• For products we don't use on a weekly basis or for products that don't spoil, I'll only buy them if there is a sale and I have a coupon.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2011