DOes your 4 year old do this?

My son has a fascination with my hair if he is sick or sleepy or otherwise not feeling well he will get inmy lap and play with my hair even if it is in a ponytail. If he is asleep in the car and i pick him up to bring him in he grabs on to my hair and holds it till i put him to bed. When we go somewhere new he wants me to hold him and if i do you can be sure he has at least one hand in my hair. When he wakes up from naps he gets in my lap and sure enough my hair is the first thing he goes for. Why do you think this is? If you child does or did this what did you do about it, if anything? btw he doesnt pull it he like runs his fingers through it or wraps it around his fingers and hands (i dont have a problem with it im just curious, i love it when he does it)

elananme

Asked by elananme at 7:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mine doesn't mess with my hair unless she is "fixing" it. But I had a friend and her middle child would only go to sleep this way. lol
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 7:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• No, I had my hair cut shorter just before each child was born for the sake on convenience and to prevent hair pulling. What my youngest does though is that he has to have his feet up on me and a hand tucked into my shirt or nightgown somewherer. He has since the minute I started nursing him when he was born. If he falls asleep, he will move so he can tuck his hand and rest his feet. I think he held onto his umbilica cord the whole time I was pregnant with him haha. I think every child has their own litte things that sooth them from birth!
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 8:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• It's like his security blanket! That's cute. He'll grow out of it soon enough. My best friends DD did the same thing, only she wouldn't go to sleep without her Mom for the longest. If she got hurt or scared she'd reach for Mom's hair.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My son plays with my hair and I think it's sweet, I don't think there's a problem with it, just another reason for my hair to stay long.
    Deb79

Answer by Deb79 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My daughter did this for a while, and once her hair got longer switched to 'twirling' her hair. She just grew out of it. Kids tend to have things like that, rituals, that help them cope with life, all the "unknowns". Just don' t sweat the small stuff. In a few year's you'll be looking back on that with a smile just a tinge on longing. . . they grow up way too fast.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 11:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Awww...that brought back so many memories for me! I'm getting all misty eyed over it. My oldest is almost 12, but he used to do that. My hair was his security blanket and he used to wrap it around his hand and sometimes stroke my hair against his cheek when he needed comfort. I didn't do anything about it because it was so sweet and obviously helped him feel secure. He outgrew it at around 5 years old.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:54 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• No my dd is too caught up in her own hair and making sure nobody touches it because "her hair is done" and she does not want nebody messingit up! lol. and she is so serious. only if I let her touch my hair will she "fix it" but I do agree with the above moms, it sounds like a security blanket, its his little coping mechanism.
    MommaKee

Answer by MommaKee at 7:21 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• my son only played with my hair when i nursed him... and after we stopped he still had to play with my hair... i figured it was because it was a thing of comfort... when we started to change from nursing to sippy cups, he needed something comforting... so it happened to be my hair... and once he stopped nursing all together he played with my hair for a while... and then after a few weeks that too stopped... he still plays with my hair every now and then, especially when he wants that special mommy and me time... or when he want to make mommy pitty (as he says for pretty)
    ilovenikhil

Answer by ilovenikhil at 10:00 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• it is his security blanket!
    one of my boys does it too...but not so much as a security...he just does it when we are sitting together bonding...cuddeling...reading.
    twinklstar

Answer by twinklstar at 2:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• A friend of mine's son played with her eyelashes, his father's facial hair and then finally his own eyelashes. Hair feels nice!
    diffdrummer

Answer by diffdrummer at 12:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2009