• In the Spotlight:

My son is three months old, and HATES tummy time. He's just plants his face in the ground and cries. What should i do to help?

He has the muscles to lift his head, he just doesn't do it. so it's not a matter of strength.

jnhill

Asked by jnhill at 10:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• give him tummy time on your tummy/chest
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 10:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Keep doing the tummy time, he will get used to it. Have toys he can look at and just out of his reach. Lay infront of him on your tummy and talk and play with him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Keep at it. put him in front of a free standing baby mirror. Try to motivate him with some interesting toys. Work in small periods, don't make the sessions too long.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Mine were both that way, too. I'd just put them down for as long as they would stand it. Over time, they stayed on their tummies for longer periods. Might have to start out with just a few minutes at a time, and try at different times through the day.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 11:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I used my boppy for my dd and it helped a lot.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• As long as he's on his stomach and not his back, you can put him just about anywhere for tummy time. My daughter liked to lay on my stomach and on the couch. Obviously, if you're going to lay him on the couch, then you need to be sitting right there to make sure he doesn't somehow roll off or smush his face down in the cushions.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:31 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Mine wouldn't do tummy time on the floor. Do it onYOU instead.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• As others have said, try tummy time on you! That worked for my Little Bear. You can also get down on the floor with him. Sometimes all they want is a bit of company. Just a few minutes several times a day, rather than one long stretch might go over better, too.

Good luck!
    Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2011