12wks and has a cold

My daughter was born Oct 19 so she's not quite 3mos yet and has recently caught a cold from daycare. I realize that there's not much to do about a cold and that it has to run it's course but I was wondering if i should make an appt with the dr anyway. I read on the Mayo Clinic website that if they are younger than 3mos to call the dr and make an appt. I thought it'd be best to ask other moms out there who have experience with this sort of stuff...I'm a first time mother and if it were up to me she'd be in a bubble..forever!! lol jk Experiences please??

mire621

Asked by mire621 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if shes running a fever then make an apt. otherwise get saline nasal spray for the congestion and then suck it out with the booger sucker.. lol thats what i call it i dont know the real name. its the blue sucky thingy lol thats what my dr always told me to do.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 11:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• She can have infant pain reliver, saline drops they help clear her nose, Humidifer and you can run the shower on hot and wait until the bathroom gets all steamed then sit in there with her for a few mins. I also used baby vapor rub that helped too.

MNsMOMMY2007

Answer by MNsMOMMY2007 at 12:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• So long as the baby doesn't have a fever and seems to be sleeping well, there is no need to go to the doctor. (I'm a mother of 6, so I've had plenty of colds to deal with.) If her nose is congested, a few drops each of cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, pine, and or peppermint oil on a handkerchief tied out of baby's reach is really good. It works something like VICKS vaporub, but less harsh. Just be sure to put it where the baby can't reach it, but the aromas can help her.
    Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2011