Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Does anyone know anything about remediation regarding divorce?

After 22 years my husband wants a divorce. He wants remediation as it is less costly, however he has already advised me that he will not be giving me anything and will be "compassionate" when it comes to my medical needs. Does remediation follow the law and make sure that everyone is taken care legally? If anyone knows anything please let me know. Thanks.

Answer Question

Asked by tearoom at 11:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Relationships

Level 3 (16 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • I think it's just Mediation. That means someone will listen to what you want and what he wants and will try to help advise so you can come to a fair agreement. Protect yourself. Hire an attorney. You can ask for Spousal Support, CS if you have children under 18. You get half of everything. He can't go against state law no matter how compassionate he thinks he will be with the medical needs. If you can't hire an attorney then go to Legal Aid. Don't let him bully you into thinking you are at his mercy. You have rights.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • Totally agree with admckenzie.

    Answer by momofonelilguy at 11:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • Formal mediation is when the parties agree to allow a thrid party to negotiate a settlement. The mediator has no binding power, and any agreement must be consented to by the parties. The benefit of a mediator is that parties often do reach a mutually agreeable settlement. The bad thing is that sometimes a party changes their mind, and the disucssions during settlement cannot be used as evidence at court.

    In mediation, you will be in a room, your spouse in another, and the mediator will go back and forth. The mediator will identify each party's position and try to help you meet in the middle.

    Not all states are community property and not all have concepts of equitable division. I believe all states are now no fault divorce though. This means that unless your state specifically has a law that divides any and all property, regardless of who's name it is under, it does not mean that you will get half of everything.

    Answer by Busimommi at 11:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • I highly recommend you consult a family law attorney, who can guide you as to what you should do. Most consultations are free.

    Answer by Busimommi at 11:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • For 1 he's a moron....mediation adds cost to the divorce....and being married for more then 8 years earns you spousal support....everything gets split in will be hard for both....if he wants the house he has to buy you out....get records of everything now....print all bank statements for the last year....def hire an attorney he sounds like a real charmer with his compassionate far as medical is concerned in most states the spouse who is the benefit holder often has to keep someone who has existing health conditions on until you can find new insurance. Good luck to you....and what ever you do....I know you love him and want things to go smooth but he's only thinking about have to think about you and the children

    Answer by proudmama101906 at 12:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • Get a lawyer and let the lawyer tell you whats best for you and if their are kids make sure you seek child support and spusal support for you. There is no way that he will get out of the financial side of the devorce

    Answer by tinamarie1972 at 9:29 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • Divorce can get very nasty. Protect yourself. They start out sweet and than they get mean. Righrt now start work vouchers.making copies of all financial info you can get your hands on-bank statements, retirement info anything to do with money. If he worke and you did not you will get ssupport so try to get copies of his paystubs.
    I am sorry for your loss. Good luck.

    Answer by 21lisa72 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.