What can I give a 3 month baby for a cold?

horsesteelers

Asked by horsesteelers at 11:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Puh-lease don't give that baby any meds. Saline drops and sucking the snot outa the nose with the sucker bulb will be just fine.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• TLC, a humidifier, nose drops, extra cuddles
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My son is three months also, and he just got over a cold and fever. We gave him infant tylenol and baby saline drops. Those worked wonders.
    jnhill

Answer by jnhill at 11:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Don't give that baby anything until you call that baby's dr.
    Hugeat8wks

Answer by Hugeat8wks at 11:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• No fever so I won't give meds unless he get's one. I've been sucking snot out of his nose. Goes to doc tomorrow for 3 month check up so will mention it to him.
    horsesteelers

Comment by horsesteelers (original poster) at 11:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Not much, unfortunately. They're too little for most medications, and there's no proof they work. Use saline drops to loosen up the snot, then very gently suction the nose with a bulb. You want to be careful because using the suction can irritate the lining of their nose, which in turn causes more snot and sometimes bleeding.

I recommend putting drops in one nose, suction, then drops in the other nose, then suction. Another thing that helps gets things running so you can suction is to steam up the bathroom, letting your baby breathe in that steam. It'll melt some of the mucous and you can more easily suck it out.

Good luck!

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Keep a cool mist humidifier running to help with congestion. A little cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, pine, and or peppermint oil on a handkerchief tied out of baby's reach is really good for helping with congestion, too. Just be sure to put it where the baby can't reach it, but the aromas can help her.
    Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• infant pain reliever, saline drops, a humidifier with vapor and if the baby needs fast relief run the shower on hot untl the bathroom is all steamed then just sit in there with the baby for a few mins. Thats what my doc told me to do whenever my baby had a cold.

MNsMOMMY2007

Answer by MNsMOMMY2007 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• If you nurse, breast milk in the nose is often very effective. I agree humidifier, steamy bathroom. Maybe elevate the head of his bed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2011