Question for moms with more than one child... adult content

I have 2 kids, opposite genders. But my daughter is a tom boy, so she tends to play with all of the toys. Right now they share a bedroom, but the next place we're moving into will be a 3 bedroom, so they will both have their own rooms. Anyways, my question is about toys.. Does anyone just separate the toys by gender or do you make a play room or what? I'm kinda stumped. Yeah, I know it's going to depend on where we move into, but I wanna know what you guys do. Do you keep kids toys separated in each room or do you combine them in one room?

wolverinemama

Asked by wolverinemama at 11:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• just put them in a nuetral place, so they both can access them
    duwana

Answer by duwana at 11:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I wouldn't separate them. That might send an archaic message and you don't want them to be embarrassed to play with a toy they like just because it is in the boy or girl section. Toys are toys. Categorize them by size or function, but not gender.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:02 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• depends on the toy. ive raised both and gender toys as well as unisex. you can seperate by girl /boy and leave the ones that they both play with out
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 12:15 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• We have 3 girls and 2 boys and separate the toys by who owns them...for the most part. But all the legos have ended up in my son's room since I want them all in one place and he plays with them the most and most of them "belong" to him (as he got them for birthdays and Christmas presents). But that doesn't imply that the girls can't play with them. And I guess, in turn, we have all the books in the girls' room. Not to say my son can't read them. His books fit into one square of the book shelf but it's better than him throwing them all over his room because he doesn't have a shelf.
    We don't have space for a playroom. It's a 3 bedroom house with 7 people. I refuse to have toys in the living areas. Even without toys they manage to trash every room in the house.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:15 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Why don't you see what they would choose to put in their rooms? Do they have different favorite toys? I know that some kids do. Just casually mention it and see what they do. If they prefer something that the other doesn't like, let them put it in their room. Otherwise, keep them in a neutral location.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:20 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My kids toys were separated mostly by gender, because that was just the toys they had received. Of course, my daughter would go into my son's room and play Star Wars with him, and he would go in her room and play Littlest Pet Shop with her.

Answer by missanc at 7:34 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Each has their own toys in their own rooms. That doesn't mean that they don't share toys.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 14, 2011