A question for the ladies who color their hair at home

My hair has always been a golden shade of blonde, but it has darkened up quite a bit in the 3 years since my DD was born. A few days ago, someone I went to high school with asked me when I decided to go brunette! I'm a BLONDE, dadgummit! I got home & looked in the mirror.... & saw that my old friend was right. My hair is much darker than it used to be, & I'd really like to dye it. However, I don't want to go & pay over $100 to get it done at a salon. So my question is, what brand of hair dye do you recommend & why do you like it? Any brands you don't like? & will one box do the job (my hair is very long, down to my waist) Thanks for the advice!

KA91

Asked by KA91 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• First off, you need to figure out what color your hair pulls. If you are going lighter, it will matter more. When I dye my hair blonde, it pulls brassy, so it has an extremely orange tone. If yours does this, you will have to make sure you get a dye that prevents this OR get the shampoo for old ladies that has blue in it so that it cancels out the brassiness.

Also, if you have super long hair, make sure to buy THREE boxes of color. You will need at least two and the third is just in case you need more. You would rather have too much than not enough. Just mix them as you go so that you don't waste a box of color you don't need.

If you need more help, let me know. I have been dying my (really long) hair since I was 12. :) Beware, it is really addicting.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Well i cant give advice on what color to make it lighter but if u have long hair ,i would say use like 2-3 boxes.My hair is up to my bra line& i always use 2 boxes. 1 box was never enough.Gl.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:07 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• How much to use, well, it depends on the thickness and how long your hair is. Have you thought about highlights? Don't go for the cheapest brand. Go somewhere in the middle. The ten minute color for your hair works great, but the color can be really intense. Since i'm a redhead, you should have seen my hair. It did cover my grays well though. I wouldn't go too blonde, some of it looks fake, go for a middle shade. I hope this helps.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:12 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I have bad luck doing my own hair and last week ended up at a salon to fix it. I think I'd call a salon and ask a pro, the chemicals are more harsh in the box colors is what I'm told but I am no expert. Good Luck!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2011