Religious persecution

Question:  Religious persecutions. . . in your opinion. . . is it faith specific or equal percecution?  All I am saying is I believe that no religion is strictly mainstream and varies due to country of origin and where you are today.  There is news about present day witch hunts that has inspired this question. Throughout the ages witch hunts have raged, every so many years they begin up again and so the circle goes.  I see that as this is an issue, Wiccan/Pagan/what have you are not the only religion undergoing persecution.  Yes, they are the target in recent news, but do Christians not undergo persecution in countries where they are not the mainstream? What about those of Hindu, Bahi (sp? sorry), and Buddhist faiths?  Do they not face persecution?  In some countries do you not think that you would be persecuted due to your religion. . .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• This has been going on for centuries, there is nothing anyone can do. This is why some people refuse to discuss religion. The same can also be said for politics. No one likes being called out if their beliefs aren't what others think it should be. Some find it very uncomfortable. I believe we'll always have religious persecution as long as there is mankind. We're just fortunate to live in a free country and we're able to make decisions freely :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Hell, you just mention your faith on her and you're persecuted!

That's the worst of it - the word gets thrown around so cheaply anymore. Suddenly being in the same room with someone who is another religion, or a sales clerks saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" (even though it's the day after Thanksgiving and you're really celebrating shopping day at that point) is persecution for some. When compared to the real stuff - those poor little kids being tortured and killed for "witchcraft" in Africa and Europe, or people who risk losing their jobs or having their children beaten. It just makes the complaint seem so hollow - kind of like how everything is racism anymore. There may be little pockets of the world where individuals may be singled out, but in general, the "majority" don't even realize other religions even exist most of the time.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:20 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• all belief systems have been subject to persecution. I mean TRUE persecution, not someone disagreeing with you on a forum. THIS country hasn't seen true persecution in centuries.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:34 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• "readings, oujia board, tarot cards" Really? I thought "atheists" didn't believe in that crap... Answer by samurai_chica 

Actually, this one does.  I read tarot and do past life readings.  The unconditional love that we all expect from our parents just isn't there sometimes.  And that's sad, but it doesn't end our lives.  We can still work and raise a family, etc.  And I don't think I would complain about persecution, even when the christians here are telling me I'm headed for hell or that what I do as a witch is evil.  If my government was persecuting me, that would be different.  Our government leaders considers atheists to be non-human, non-citizens.  Atheists still have to fight for the right to be themselves, but they don't have to DIE for it.  But some people do. That's perspective.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• "readings, oujia board, tarot cards"

Really? I thought "atheists" didn't believe in that crap...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Hell, you just mention your faith on her and you're persecuted! Everyone has very strong religious beliefs and it amazes me how much bashing occurs whenever this subject is brought up. Some of us who are unsure will never decide reading these posts, lol
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:10 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• You know what anon, we're all accused of something if we don't go along with the popular vote of everyone else, I've been slandered here more than anywhere in my 52yrs. of living. People don't know me and ny background to make judgement calls but they do anyway. I was brought up in a very strict Atheist home, my mom was into readings, oujia board, tarot cards etc. But it wasn't for me. I chose religion and was baptised a Methodist and now my family wants nothing to do with me as I am not who they wanted me to be. I haven't seen my family in over 15 years because of this choice I made, but yet I continued to respect their believes. I can be thankful I don't live in another country and I'm free to make decisions that I feel are right for me, but at the same time it's lonely as hell when you have parents, 3 brothers & sister who disown you for your religious choice.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:23 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• kathy...thats terrible that your family seperated from you. How awful! there should be equal respect from all sides. And my goodness, family should love one another for all that they are...not b/c they are "just like us" in one area.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I'm aware of all you mention in your post op, I guess I don't understand what you want other than making people more aware of these atrosities. I wish I could make it stop but I can't, no more than anyone else.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Kathy- Your story goes back to the OP's point- Christianity is so common here no one would think someone would be disowned for deciding to be Christian-but taboo is taboo- what is taboo in your family is different than what would be taboo in another- the same goes area to area- state to state and so on...
    I do agree with you- we are lucky to be in the US where we are "free" to make our choices- we may feel persecuted but really we have no idea what real persecution looks like because we are lucky enough to be living here
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2011