Hematoma ??

my daughter was born Jan6th and the delivery was so fast it resulted in two hematomas developing on both of the top sides of her skull, her Dr wasn't worried about them, he says they will resolve on their own with time and as long as I don't notice them growing any larger not to worry about them. I have never seen a hematoma on an infant before, has anyone any first hand experience with this? How long did it take for them to go away? On is small and already dissapearing the other is rather large and taking longer to decrease... and I know I shouldn't worry about them, but I do. I would feel better hearing from other mothers who may have experienced this with their babies? thanks.

All4OneN1forAll

Asked by All4OneN1forAll at 12:04 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A hematoma is a fancy word for bruise. When babies are born, their blood vessels are delicate, so when they're crushed through the pelvis, sometimes the vessels get crushed and bleed a little. Just like a bruise on you will eventually go away, so will hers.

Keep an eye out, too, for yellowing of the skin. Babies' livers sometimes are slower to process the dead blood cells from the bruise, so they develop jaundice. You'll notice the yellowing start from the head going down. if you notice it, make an appointment right away for and evaluation.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:07 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Oh ya! It's simply bruising and many, many newborns are born with them! As a former Respiratory Therapist, I saw sooo many deliveries of babies with bruising. It happens during that traumatic journey down the birth canal as well as delivering the baby in general. The Doctors and Nurses know exactly what to look for and when to be worried. If they said it would go away, trust me, it will.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:15 AM on Jan. 14, 2011