Am I overreacting or not?!?!?!

I just recently found out my ex started a fb page for our 4 year old daughter....
his side: he wanted to make a scrapbook for her when shes older to read....only friends could write and read posts so it wasnt a big deal.
my side: I was able to look up her name and found it....there was a pic of her when she was 8 months old....it told what city and state she lived in...her birth day not year....and I could see all her "friends"....if I can see all that info so can creepo that likes to scout out little girls for their fun.....I obviously blew up on him demanding it be removed after I reported it to facebook apparently....now hes furious with me cuz "shame on me for thinking i would think he would put our daughter in harms way" WELL HELLO!!!!! sex offenders are out there and it terrified me....am I overreacting or am I justified in thinking that was irresponsible???

proudmama101906

Asked by proudmama101906 at 12:39 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• You are not overreacting. There is an age minimum for Facebook for a reason.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:40 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I dont think you are overreacting i would be the same way
    NavyMommy0910

Answer by NavyMommy0910 at 12:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Yes you over reacted...You could have calmly talked to your husband about it first. Maybe he honestly had no clue about privacy and such. He obviously had no clue how you were going to react.

Should he have consulted with you first? Yes

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I think you overreacted a little bit you could have just talked to your husband & explained your concerns. He should have talked tou you first but now you can just go in edit the privacy setting or completely take it off.

Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 12:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• He is my ex husband....and thank you for your comments....trust me there is no talking to him and he did remove it. I just happened to fall onto it and was furious
    proudmama101906

Comment by proudmama101906 (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I think that your choice of words and tone was probably a little over-zealous. You probably could have made your point without placing blame or starting an argument.

However, your point is valid. Facebook asks your age for a reason - there is a minimum age limit. I also believe that your ex should probably at least have talked to you before doing something like this.

Perhaps there is a way you can set up a private website, outside of Facebook (example: a blog site, with her page password protected), and achieve your ex's intention while still sticking to your privacy and safety requirements.
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 2:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I agree with previous answers. Facebook has a minimum age requirement for a reason. I'm not comfortable with my friends on there posting pictures of their children as their profile pictures. He should have discussed his intentions with you first before he set up the account. I would have reported it, too, and consulted with the experts about the site and safety issues. You did not overreact, in my opinion.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:28 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Well, no, I don't think you did. It's been a while since I signed up with FB, and don't remember it asking for your age, but, if it clearly asks for your age, then he knew full well there is a minimum age that can have a page. So, he lied. He didn't talk with you about it first, and it concerned your 4 year old child, a very much minor. And, I'm pretty sure that IF you guys had to go to court of something like him neglecting her, or hurting her, and you brought this up, it would add to it instead of just being brushed off. You are very right, there are very sick people out there, and they do scout the internet for young girls. And I wouldn't be surprised if some prefer very YOUNG ones. Besides, she would eventually be 10, 12, whatever age that WOULD attract a sicko.
    Most moms would have reacted the same way. And your idea of blowing up is probably different then others. Mine? Mine is really bad. So, I don't think you ORed.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:24 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I don't think you are overreacting however you could have approached it a lot better.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I would've done the same thing...Last time I checked FB wasn't for four year olds. If he wants a scrapbook do a blog or something. That doesn't even make sense what he was doing.
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 12:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2011