Do people that treat animals

like they are above humans or as good as one annoy you? My MIL treats these dogs like they are the only ones in her life and it has taken a toll on her husband (the FIL). She will jump for them but not him & i wonder why?

mercy928

Asked by mercy928 at 12:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Pets

• Because they are animals and can't help themselves?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• A lot of people see their pets like their children. I know I love my pets and I call them my kids, but I certainly don't treat them better then my husband, lol.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 12:44 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No, it doesn't bother me. My cat is a member of my family. I love all animals and treat them with the love and respect they deserve.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:45 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Her animals don't ignore her or criticize her, and they love her unconditionally. Her husband probably leaves something to be desired.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No because many pet owners are very attached to their furry friends and are as attached to them as they are a family member. When you really get close to an animal, you appreciate their individual personality and you do form a close bond that goes both ways. Many people do treat their pet as they would a child in the family. Sometimes people enjoy being needed and taking care of another living being. And remember that animals can provide a great deal of comfort, companionship, and most of all they are not judgmental. Your mother in law has a very close bond with her pets, but it is not something that replaces her affection for her spouse because that is comparing apples to oranges. Are mothers willing and more eager to jump through more hoops for their children than for their spouses in most cases? You and your FIL should not take it personally although I can understand your feelings in this.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Because the animals becomes a person she can take care of. Like a child.
    sheer_heart

Answer by sheer_heart at 11:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• because animals are selfless and love unconditionally and also cant do stuff for themselves
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I can only guess it has something to do within their marriage. The animal brings her love and comfort and doesn't do something to annoy her or upset her, but I would think it has happened over years not over night. I don't like to see it, I do like to see people love their animals as a member of the family, but no they should not come before the human.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I don't think I treat my pets better than the people in my family, but I don't think I treat them much worse either. I think that sometimes people get things out of their relationship with their animals that they might not be getting out of relationships with people, so I would take the fact that MIL treats the animals better than FIL as a sign that there may be some issues between them (not necessarily big dramatic issues, but even lack of communication or quality time.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:08 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i like my animals more then I like most ppl! lol
    I dont treat them better then I treat my husband or kids, but fairly the same. they are my fur-kids.
    Animals can comfort ppl, sometimes humans dont know how to just listen. an animal never talks back. they are always there to love, listen, and comfort with out judging! :)
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 8:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2011