what things can i do to help my infant sleep in her basinet?

Ever since we brought her home from the hospital my husband & myself have tried & tried to sleep our baby in her own basinet but she refuses to stay in it. So we have no other options but to have her sleep with us & I'm just getting tired of it. Plz any advice is very well apreciated :-)

nora_flores

Asked by nora_flores at 12:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No idea. My daughter never slept in a bassinet, nor did she sleep in her crib for the first several months. She usually ended up falling asleep in her swing.

Here's a bump.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:51 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Sorry i have no advice for you im actually stuggling with that right now with my 19 month old and my 2 month old the both dont want to sleep in there own beds they want to be with me. all i can say is if you let her sleep with you it will get even harder to get her to sleep in her bed
    NavyMommy0910

Answer by NavyMommy0910 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Have you tried swaddling her tightly and rocking her to sleep? She could be gassy, is she fussing and thrashing? For me I did whatever works, my son slept in his swing and my daughter slept in a papasan vibrating chair until they were 4 months or so.
    RAHMom209

Answer by RAHMom209 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I bumped you as well. My daughter slept with us for the first 3 months, after that I began putting her in the bassinet after she fell asleep. Then when she woke up she'd come back to bed with us. I found it much easier, since I was breastfeeding, to get some sleep while she nursed during the night.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My baby went through that how old is the baby?
    Hugeat8wks

Answer by Hugeat8wks at 12:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Try rocking her bed untill she falls alseep. that worked for a little while with my first then when that stopped we done a swing and that worked forever but with my 2nd nothing seemed to work so best of luck.
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 12:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I'm gonna tell you now :"Baby still wants that closness with mommy",But if its been going on a while have the babies ears checked mine had an ear infection that why I wasn't getting sleep.But yeah baby want the closness to you.she feels your not there and that takes some getting use to.
    Hugeat8wks

Answer by Hugeat8wks at 12:57 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Also, she was inside you for 9 months, you are her comfort. Your scent, heartbeat, breath, all give her comfort to sleep soundly and feel safe and protected. I've heard of putting a shirt that you've worn in the bassinet so she has the scent, and I believe there are CD's that have white noise that mimicks what they heard from the womb.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Have you tried putting something in her bassinet that smells like you? My kids all had a very small silkie blanket that I wore under my shirt during the day, at night I would tuck it into bed with them so they still had my "scent". Also, something that makes noise might help. All 5 of mine had a motion and sound activated "heartbeat" bear that mimics the sounds heard in the mother's womb - a white noise machine or a noisy fan would probably work just as well.

Answer by missanc at 7:29 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Does the bassinet have a good cushion?  I have friends whose cushion was really thin and their baby did  better in a crib.  Also, we always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Bath, diaper change, swaddling, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying.........whatever works for you. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming her lungs out, but minor fussing. This is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies.

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:22 AM on Jan. 14, 2011