Baby food for a four month old?

I am starting my son on baby food, and he wouldn't take stage 1, so I tried stage 2, and he takes it, and loves it, he eats the whole thing most the time. But the age to start stage 2 is 6 months. Seeing how it's only 1 moth away, do you think it will be ok to give him the stage 2?
I also heard to introduce them to the veggies before the fruits because they won't take it if they have fruits first. true or false?

Jessica1991

Asked by Jessica1991 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• False. You can give either first. I give a fruit then a veggie and alternate. The age limits on baby foods are so companies can keep babies on their food longer and increase profits. All my babies were on table food by 7 mos. A baby can take soft chunky food alot earlier than Gerber says. Canned mixed veggies are acceptable as soon as the baby can pick them up. Give them along side cheerios. Banannas are great canned fruit cocktail is good if you get the unsweetened. Mashed potatoes or mashed sweet potatoes are great. Good luck to you!! Let your baby lead you.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• well i had the same problem, kinda. my 3 month old wouldn't take cereal but she acted like she was always starving, so i tried the stage 1 foods and she likes it. true on the second part, once my daughter tried the bananas and peaches it was like pulling teeth to get her to eat sweet peas and green beans. cause they have a bitter taste compared to the fruits.
    sonya_peak

Answer by sonya_peak at 8:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Your fine with stage 2 and veggies first is true. lots of kids wont eat veggies after getting sweet fruits.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I gave both mine fruit first and they both love both fruits & veggies -- neither liked the jarred meats...but the stage 2 is only a larger portion of the stage 1 -- it doesn't get chunky or whatever til stage 3; so you should be fine =)
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• False as to the veggie/fruit question. As long as you always give your son a variety of healthy choices you are doing what you can.
    He may not be ready to eat yet. I'm just guessing. I have fed my kids (3) one month later each time and found that the older they were the more receptive they were to eating.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2008