Letter of recommendation 4a friend

So a gal I met in class Spring semester asked me if I could write her a letter of recommedation because the other person that was suppose to do it hasn't came through. She needs it for some scholarship in her program. I have only know her for under 6 months and really don't know her that well.

I want to help but I have some issue with lying like that. Also I think my letter will show that I am not a professional writing the letter lol I don't mind helping a friend but that seems a bit much. At the end of the email she put "please and thank you". Now to me that always meant you already know I'm going to do it. Anyway....

I was thinking of suggesting her ask a pastor, physician, or another professional friend.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 1:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would tell her to write and you sign off on it. She knows herself better than you do. I personally wouldn't write it.
    gangstamami66

Answer by gangstamami66 at 1:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• never thought of that lol
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 1:53 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Your idea of a pastor, doctor, or other professional friend is the best......someone who has known her longer. It is not a good idea, and could come back to bite both of you, if she wrties it for you to sign. Be careful!! Tell her to think long and hard about people in her life who know her better and can be a reference.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:13 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• If you don't feel comfortable....go with your gut and suggest/refer her to some of the others. You never know how things can come back on you later on. And don't be afraid to say no. You referenced her as a friend in your post, so if she is a true friend, she will understand and would not put you in an uncomfortable position. GL
    MrsJStearns

Answer by MrsJStearns at 11:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• yeah I can't lie about that. It's for a scholarship I belive she should use people that know her better. Even though it is still lying I would vouch for her if she needed a reference for an apartment. This scholarship is not life or death.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• If you feel uncomfortable writing it, be honest with her and tell her. If you met her in class, maybe your professor could write it and base the recommendation on how good of student she is.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• You are correct; you should not lie.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2011