how can i not spoil my 8 month old son

he is constantley wanting to be held i cant get anything done and i dont know if its stress teething or spoult he suddenly wines when put down or not getting his way

llivelaughlove

Asked by llivelaughlove at 2:30 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies that young cannot be spoiled. You should enjoy and relish on the fact that he loves you and wants to spend time to you instead of seeing it as something negative.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• see i love it but i am now a single stay at home mom and i do have another child that needs taking care of and duties i have to do and i cant get it done with him constantley fussing and wanting to be held all the time
    llivelaughlove

Comment by llivelaughlove (original poster) at 2:39 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Sorry, that's just part of Motherhood. I'm not trying to be rude or mean to you, but you CANNOT spoil a baby this young. It's impossible. House work and all that comes second. He comes first. If you have to handle your other child, fine. But make it a priority to go right back to tending to his needs so he knows you are there.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• my ds is 9 months and he is the exact same way...we have a jumparoo for him and if i have something i need to do i put him in it. i'll move him to whatever room i'm in and sometimes you just have to let him cry it out. at 8 months old crying it out for a few minutes won't hurt him. talk to him while you're working, even if he is screaming...i just talk over my ds, or sing to him. just let him know that you're there, but he might be entertained for a while just watching what you're doing. do things in short periods of time and play with him in between your daily chores. how old is your other kid? my dd is 5 and she will distract and play with my ds for a little bit while i cook dinner or whatever. if you don't have a jumparoo, use a play yard, or play pen. just make sure he's not hungry, has a clean butt, has something to play with and knows that you're not gone. GL!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:45 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• yes i put him in his bouncy or let him crawl on the floor and play in the same room as me he gets bored fast and easy im trying to clean after him but right now when my husband left he left the mess to so im trying to pick up alot and at the same time having to deal with more toys and clothes and dishes being drug out i think this has to do with the stress of daddy not being here no more and me being stressed out i hope this will ware off
    llivelaughlove

Comment by llivelaughlove (original poster) at 2:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Focus on playing and holding him during the day, whatever he needs. During his nap times, which I'm sure at his age he's still taking 2, do some chores. Pay bills online. Try to grocery shop just once a week. After baby goes to bed for the night you can do more chores,shower, etc. If you don't put him first then you will regret it down the road. He will only be this age once and trust me it goes by way too quickly.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:10 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I noticed everyone saying "you can't spoil a baby this young" and I had to comment. Ummmm, yes you can spoil a baby this young! 8 month old's are very intelligent and sometimes yes, they need to be held and carried around and told I love you, but some of the time they just need to learn that every time they cry, they aren't going to be picked up. If you pick them up every time they cry, you will be carrying him around all day and will never get anything done. I know all the other mom's are all mad at me right now, but its true. Let him cry on the floor and when he stops crying pick him up or just let him play. Floor time is very important at this age, and as long as the room you have him in is childproofed well, you are all set. Put him on the floor with lots of fun toys, put up a gate between you and LEAVE him. 9 timed out of 10 he's going to be hanging onto the gate watching you in the kitchen anyway.
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 5:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• hello I'm on the same boat with you the only difference is mine is one year old. There is hardley anything that I can do except let him cry for a while if the chore is really that important
    A11

Answer by A11 at 5:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Spoiling requires wanting things you don't need. Like candy or toys. Babies NEED touch and to be carried; it's important to their development. And if you give it to them, they become less needy very quickly.

SLING. Required equipment when you have more than one, as important as the car seat. It allows you to get things done.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:40 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Try wearing your baby. I love my Sleepy Wrap. It's like a Moby, but was less expensive so I got it and it is GREAT! It's very comfortable and holds the baby tight enough that I can still get things done around the house AND my back doesn't get sore.
    Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2011