You obey the law, do what u r supposed to, and yet, u get screwed.......

I swallowed my pride and went and applied for food assistance awhile back when my DH was on unemployment. We were eligible for $250 a month for 3 of us. And u what? It was barely enough when all can do when u only can shop once a month. Well DH found a job that paid $10.50 hr. He was only working 3 days a week. It was required for u to let the case worker know that there was a change in our household. I didn't expect for them to cut the food assistence in half! Dh made more money when he was on UE. Matter of fact we lost $300 a month. We are not making it at all, and that is what I told my case worker. She told me a job was more steady. It was always possible that the UE might be cut off. What kinda bullshit was that!?!? She told me to visit some of the food pantrys around town. So I did, those shelves were just about empty. All they had was boxes of mac and cheese, roman noodles, those little vienna sauages. I am not that picky, but my DH is diabetic, and those food are a big no because the food will digest and turn into sugar and may start harming different organs in his body. Now we are getting $120 a month,. I do not know how we are goingto make bills, mainly the mortgage. We were denied for medicaid. So we are wondering how DH wi get his testing strips ect. I can't go back to work because we cant afford child care. DH is always getting questions why I won;t work, and wondered if I was just lazy. He explained that its not worth it if I do go to work and just using that money to pay the child care, not to mention gas usage. Anybody have any thoughts or advice??

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:31 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• Many people are going through this, but they are also finding a new economy in their home when guided the right way. Check out HOMECAREERSUCCESS.COM
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 3:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I had a time like this. Me and My SO make it work though. I have a set schedule and he works his around mine. There are days where we are just passing each other but it's okay because we can keep a rough over our heads, food in our mouths, and I am able to go to school FT at a University. My suggestion is that if you want your situation to improve find a job that is opposite his schedule, even overnight, which was what I had to do for a short period of time, and you make it work. It's no surprise to me that you got cut so much, they figure if you have any assets they will help you fully until those are dissolved.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• i know how you feel momma. the only advice i can give you right now is contact the american diabetes association they have a meter/test strip program . here in ohio its 20 dollars for the meter and then strips are 50 count for 15 dollars.
    ohioautsimmommy

Answer by ohioautsimmommy at 2:37 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Work at home customer service job (i heard one of those flower places may do it - 1800flowers or something? There are other companies that have at home CS reps as well.) Or like someone else suggested, get a job when DH isn't working - evenings, overnight, weekends, whatever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Get a job wherever you have to to make ends meet. Try Craigslist for a sitter if need be. You can work evenings maybe and have a teenager watch your child. They work fairly cheap. There are plenty of stay-at-home moms that will watch your child too for a cheap amount.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:01 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Maybe you could become a child care provider in your own home. It sucks being on assistance of any kind. Last winter, i was calling fuel assistance begging for heating oil. I kept telling them, it's January, we have NO HEAT, our house is freezing. I borrowed space heaters from people to keep our pipes from freezing down in the basement. It was a total nightmare.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 5:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Can you take care of a child in your home? Look at the care.com link and see what might be there. Look at each category by using the pulldown. GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:05 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• going thru the same darn thing right now. keep your head up, at least thats what my dh says. he always has a positive attitude. i hope for the best for everyone out there with the same problem!
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 8:25 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Hang in there!!! Maybe you can take care of a child or two in your home. That's money under the table.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I know how difficult it can be. But, can you get a job around your DH's hours at work? That is what my husband and I do to avoid the cost of childcare. It sucks in that we see each other less, but is great in the fact that our child is always with one of the two of us, and we have the money we need for everything.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:18 AM on Jan. 14, 2011